Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Quote: 4 out and fluffy this morning! I can easily see 1 more pipped but there may be more. the chicks are sitting on some of the eggs and others are in a position that makes it hard to see.

One of these babies has wry neck :( I'll inform the breeder since that means the hen was deficient in vitamin e, but this one got bad fast. They can't walk without tumbling backwards. Took awhile to tell the difference between that and the usual chick wobbles, but now it's obvious.
Oh know! Hope it recovers! Are you giving extra vitamins?

Yeah, just nutridrench right now, but tonight we're going out to get selenium and vitamin e tablets. The biggest trouble is hand feeding and watering. I am getting a crop tube tonight, hopefully, which should greatly improve their chances... they're so small, it will be difficult to find one that will fit.

Last edited:
Yeah, just nutridrench right now, but tonight we're going out to get selenium and vitamin e tablets. The biggest trouble is hand feeding and watering. I am getting a crop tube tonight, hopefully, which should greatly improve their chances... they're so small, it will be difficult to find one that will fit.

Ah, poor thing. That is a lot of work... I hope it gets better soon!

4 out and fluffy this morning! I can easily see 1 more pipped but there may be more. the chicks are sitting on some of the eggs and others are in a position that makes it hard to see.
Cool, what do they look like? I mostly get yellow, chipmunk and an occasional black chick.

My Silkie chicks hatched.. 3 black or dark chicks... they are so cute!

I have a Crested Cream Legbar cockerel with wry neck right .His head twists completely upside sometimes. He is able to eat on his own though. He has been in hospital cage for 3 days getting Vit E, Selenium, nutria drench and Poly-Vi-Sol added to his food

Quote: I haven't gotten a good look yet. There are 6 but now, but they are still in the incubator. I plan to post pictures tomorrow
big_smile.png

I hope your rooster recovers! Be careful doing too much polyvisol/nutridrench, some of the nutrients in there (namely a and d3) are not a good thing to exceed the limit on. His chances are really good if he is eating on his own!

I was unable to find a tube small enough for my little chick.. or any tube. It seems no place has them locally. I'm going to have to call around to vets and see if anyone can't offer me a small tube without having to schedule a full blown appointment, because I can't seem to find what I'm looking for online either. I have no clue how people get these things. The little chick has shown some interest in food, but can't keep their balance well enough to look down and peck, and if I hold it up to them they don't eat more than a bite. Syringe feeding has been a very stressful affair, and I can't seem to get them full enough, so they are rather upset now that their yolk has stopped giving them everything they need. Their head is much better this evening than it was this time yesterday, so here's hoping I can sustain them until they can eat and drink on their own... then recovery should be a straight line trajectory.

I hope your rooster recovers! Be careful doing too much polyvisol/nutridrench, some of the nutrients in there (namely a and d3) are not a good thing to exceed the limit on. His chances are really good if he is eating on his own!

I was unable to find a tube small enough for my little chick.. or any tube. It seems no place has them locally. I'm going to have to call around to vets and see if anyone can't offer me a small tube without having to schedule a full blown appointment, because I can't seem to find what I'm looking for online either. I have no clue how people get these things. The little chick has shown some interest in food, but can't keep their balance well enough to look down and peck, and if I hold it up to them they don't eat more than a bite. Syringe feeding has been a very stressful affair, and I can't seem to get them full enough, so they are rather upset now that their yolk has stopped giving them everything they need. Their head is much better this evening than it was this time yesterday, so here's hoping I can sustain them until they can eat and drink on their own... then recovery should be a straight line trajectory.

My guy has pretty much stagnated in his progress. I am adding a bit of prednisone left over from my own supply. I read somewhere about adding 2.5 mg twice daily for 5 days, then tapering down. It is though that inflammation is the cause of the condition. Hope it works.

As for tube feeding... I had ordered a big supply of all different sizes last year, but couldn't find them when I needed them for a sick bird a month or so back. I ended up using a plain of aquarium air line tube. It was a little harder to use because the food all comes out the end, but got me thru the feeding with her. With these little guys you might have to be creative. You might be able to find something at a craft store that would be the right size and us a TB syringe for the food. You might even be able to heat the tube t close of the end and use a small nail to make holes in the side like a regular feeding tube would have. I raise finches and have had to hand feed abandoned babies. Many of the bird supply places carry feeding syringes and tubes or crop needles. Hope you are able to find something that works!

Here are some pics of the 7 babies that hatched yesterday. There are 2 more drying off in the incubator right now...

I still have a few broody hens going strong! If I had realized the extent to which these broody hens are dedicated to hatching then I probably would not have even bothered to hatch any eggs myself! I am glad I did though because I love my Sparky and Twinkle, cuckoo boys that turned out to be micros.

Some of the first pullets I hatched late winter have started laying. Their eggs are pretty small. I put a couple under one of the broody hens to see if they are fertile.

I had two chicks that hatched that looked to be straight feathered and then turned frizzle. I have never seen a chick feather out like that before... very mysterious!

I hope everyone's summer is treating them well : ) Those are some cute chick photos from July that somehow I missed!

Back
Top Bottom