Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Hey guys! I can truthfully say that I am now obsessed with Seramas! My first two chicks hatched today! My rooster is light blue, and my hen is black breasted red. Both the chicks came out creme with a couple buff spots. Super cute, and very surprising! Any idea what these will look like grown up?
I have four Serama eggs hatching next week, and six going in the incubator today...can't wait!
I'll get some pics up of the chicks in a bit!

Hey guys! I can truthfully say that I am now obsessed with Seramas! My first two chicks hatched today! My rooster is light blue, and my hen is black breasted red. Both the chicks came out creme with a couple buff spots. Super cute, and very surprising! Any idea what these will look like grown up?
I have four Serama eggs hatching next week, and six going in the incubator today...can't wait!
I'll get some pics up of the chicks in a bit!

I bet they are adorable! I can't say what they will look like as they get older but a lot of my chicks grew up to be similar versions of their mama or papa!

I am not still incubating eggs but I have a few hens that won't quit, so they can hatch a long with you ; )

Alright, finally got some pics! I didn't have my pair as chicks, so I'm not sure what they looked like...one I think might look like the daddy as he is light blue and the chick is creme with light blue spots.
Here's the chicks, and the parents :-D
Cutest pic EVER!

Mama Anastasia :-D

Daddy Cliff :)

The first baby with the buff spot :-D

The first baby who hatched in my hand when I picked up her egg to put it back under a first timer mama who had let her egg come out from under her :-/ really cool experience though!

First chick again, I've got way more of her!!!

Second on the left, first on the right :-D
Cliff again :)

Second left, first right. Can kinda see the blue on the second :)

Second chick

My pair...they're about seven months old :)

Alright, finally got some pics! I didn't have my pair as chicks, so I'm not sure what they looked like...one I think might look like the daddy as he is light blue and the chick is creme with light blue spots.
Cutest pic EVER!

The first baby who hatched in my hand when I picked up her egg to put it back under a first timer mama who had let her egg come out from under her :-/ really cool experience though!

Second chick

Super adorable chicks! I love all the photos, thanks for sharing! How long have you had your pair? Did you hatch them? I am impressed that she is only 7 months old and has already hatched some chicks. I like their names too. I haven't named all my birds but sometimes a name just comes to me and it is just right for that bird. Cliff, his name cracks me up. I have young roo named Hank and it really suits him : )

I still have a few broody hens going strong! If I had realized the extent to which these broody hens are dedicated to hatching then I probably would not have even bothered to hatch any eggs myself! I am glad I did though because I love my Sparky and Twinkle, cuckoo boys that turned out to be micros.

Some of the first pullets I hatched late winter have started laying. Their eggs are pretty small. I put a couple under one of the broody hens to see if they are fertile.

I had two chicks that hatched that looked to be straight feathered and then turned frizzle. I have never seen a chick feather out like that before... very mysterious!

I hope everyone's summer is treating them well : ) Those are some cute chick photos from July that somehow I missed!
Mine are still feathering out, but only have their heads left to go. I have quite a variety of colors. 3 of the six are silkied and the other 3 are standard feathered. It looks like 3 and 3 on pullets and cockerels too! 2 pullets are black and white,standard feather, 2 of the roosters are various shades of brown or maybe partridge. They all look very "typey" in their posture. I would love to get some pictures to pot here, but need to figure out how I will do it without having to chase them down.

Cutest pic EVER!

Second chick

These guys are adorable! I definitely see the 'blue' in the one chick. The parents are both beautiful! The second one looks like it could be a lighter shade of Mom's coloring.

Darkbluespace, I got my pair when they were six months old and she started laying in a couple of days. I immediately started gathering her eggs for hatch. I too am impressed that she's laying this young and already has chicks. She's actually more like seven and a half months, but not quite eight yet...

Audio51, I would love for the chick to be a lighter version of mama! She just started getting a little bit of wing feathers in and they're kinda really light buff...super pretty!

Can I join? I'm a first time hatcher. My first shipped dozen Serama eggs didn't make it, (only one developed past the first week, then quit) but I got a second batch of 18. It looks like 5 of them have made it, but lockdown is still a week away. I have 8 local Silkie eggs due Tuesday bc I knew shipped Seramas were a big gamble (even bigger for an inexperienced hatcher) and I didn't want to walk away from my first attempt completely empty handed. These Little Seramas have become an obsession. I must have them!

Darkbluespace, I got my pair when they were six months old and she started laying in a couple of days. I immediately started gathering her eggs for hatch. I too am impressed that she's laying this young and already has chicks. She's actually more like seven and a half months, but not quite eight yet...

Audio51, I would love for the chick to be a lighter version of mama! She just started getting a little bit of wing feathers in and they're kinda really light buff...super pretty!

Wow, you didn't even have to wait for eggs ; ) Good luck with your incubator eggs, let us know how they are doing!

Can I join? I'm a first time hatcher. My first shipped dozen Serama eggs didn't make it, (only one developed past the first week, then quit) but I got a second batch of 18. It looks like 5 of them have made it, but lockdown is still a week away. I have 8 local Silkie eggs due Tuesday bc I knew shipped Seramas were a big gamble (even bigger for an inexperienced hatcher) and I didn't want to walk away from my first attempt completely empty handed. These Little Seramas have become an obsession. I must have them!

Welcome! Sorry your first batch didn't make it! Where were your new eggs shipped from? Seramas are cute funny little birds, I know you'll love them! Do you have other chickens already?

Welcome!  Sorry your first batch didn't make it!  Where were your new eggs shipped from?    Seramas are cute funny little birds, I know you'll love them!  Do you have other chickens already?

Thank you! I have 2 Speckled Sussex and 3 Black Australorps, all just beginning to lay. Our little flock is very tame. We give them turns getting "inside" time so we can interact with each one individually. I wanted to start out with hardy birds since I am new, but now that I'm a little more confident in my chicken raising abilities, I wanted to dabble in hatching with different breeds. After a lot of research, we decided we NEED Seramas! The first batch of e-bay shipped eggs came from Tennessee, I believe, (I'm in NC) but the usps was SO slow, they took 5 days to get here in this HOT, humid weather, so I knew my chances of getting a good hatch rate were pretty low. The second batch has 5 out of 18 doing well, but if these fail, I think I'll stick to local eggs only. The 21 day wait is agony! Lol

Back
Top Bottom