Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
What a pretty mama and a nice assortment of chicks! I sometime give them shavings, but only in a large tub. In a crate like that, the shavings end up everywhere!

Oh yes, those shavings definitely are going everywhere! And as you can see from the photo, they're a great detection device for old cobwebs! ;)

I set up another of those dog crates today for my 3 non-serama chicks, put some hardware cloth and some glad press & seal around the bottom 1/4 of the cage so hopefully it won't be as messy.

Thank you, Miss Charlotte is so pretty. I have another one that looks just like her but with some light red around her neck. I'm so curious to see how many (if any) of the chicks end up looking like those two.

How are your broody and chicks doing?

In other hatch-a-long news, I may have borked my 34 eggs that are incubating. Sigh. Early on I briefly unplugged the turner to plug in a temporary item and then I forgot to switch them back for days. I discovered the error on Day 6. So my eggs didn't get turned for... I'm not sure, up to 6 days. 8 of the eggs were already dead, and 3 more were clear. Sigh sigh.

On the upside, the dead eggs were fairly evenly distributed amongst the eggs by date, which means I also have live ones across the full range of eggs that were up to 3 weeks old. It remains to be seen whether viable chicks will successfully hatch from those oldest eggs but... *crosses fingers*

My incubator came in the mail yesterday, I can't for the life of me fine tune it! I got the hovabator 1602N it's bouncing all over the place humidity is anywhere between 40-65% fiddling with the temp it's been 89-103 closest I've gotten is 100.5. It wont stay at a constant though. Another issue I've had is getting an accurate temp reading, out of four thermometers (3 analog 1 digital) they all vary by 5 degrees and no two are the same or even close.... WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!? I think I'm gonna let my broody finish the eggs but she needs a break asap, she's running herself ragged. I have to force her out and she can't walk right. All of her food and fluids have to be brought directly to her. I'm leaning towards getting a brinsea mini advance instead. I don't know if I should even move the eggs at this point, first expected hatch is in two days. I also don't know what I would do with the remaining eggs, all due over the course of two weeks with as much as 4 days in between. I highly doubt they are all going to hatch, we had a decent rainfall and discovered wet shavings in her nest the next day. My candler should be in today, hopefully shedding some light on my dreary situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My incubator came in the mail yesterday, I can't for the life of me fine tune it! I got the hovabator 1602N it's bouncing all over the place humidity is anywhere between 40-65% fiddling with the temp it's been 89-103 closest I've gotten is 100.5. It wont stay at a constant though. Another issue I've had is getting an accurate temp reading, out of four thermometers (3 analog 1 digital) they all vary by 5 degrees and no two are the same or even close.... WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!? I think I'm gonna let my broody finish the eggs but she needs a break asap, she's running herself ragged. I have to force her out and she can't walk right. All of her food and fluids have to be brought directly to her. I'm leaning towards getting a brinsea mini advance instead. I don't know if I should even move the eggs at this point, first expected hatch is in two days. I also don't know what I would do with the remaining eggs, all due over the course of two weeks with as much as 4 days in between. I highly doubt they are all going to hatch, we had a decent rainfall and discovered wet shavings in her nest the next day. My candler should be in today, hopefully shedding some light on my dreary situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Where do you live? I'm in NC and the humidity is so high anyway, I ran the incubator dry until hatch and it worked out great. To get the temp stable, I had to run the incubator continually for at least 2-3 days before I put eggs in. I figured this all out after 3 failed hatches, but once I ironed out the kinks, I had two almost 100% hatches! I'd say the best thing to do, is to run it dry for a bit and see if it stabilizes.

I'm in CA. It started to even out last night only went back and forth between 99 - 100 and 45-55% humidity. I'm leaving my broody with two eggs that should hatch out by this weekend, she needs a break asap. I put the youngest two in the incubator. I candled all four eggs, all have movement. Now I guess I just wait and hope it turns out okay
fl.gif
If I get two I'll be happy.

I have never he heard of a serama and your hen is. BEAUTIFUL

Thank you!

I'm in CA. It started to even out last night only went back and forth between 99 - 100 and 45-55% humidity. I'm leaving my broody with two eggs that should hatch out by this weekend, she needs a break asap. I put the youngest two in the incubator. I candled all four eggs, all have movement. Now I guess I just wait and hope it turns out okay
fl.gif
If I get two I'll be happy.

Glad to hear it stabilized, it sounds like you're doing everything right, I'm crossing my fingers for you! *crosses fingers*

Back
Top Bottom