Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Pics
Hello! I am new to BYC, but since this is a serama hatch-a-long I decided to pop in! So with that being said... I currently have two broody seramas. One is sitting on 7 and the other is sitting on 6! They have been sitting since early on this past Friday, and I candled them today... So far 7 have visible veins!!! So exciting:) this is my first time hatching chicks. And i can't wait to see what happens!:)

Welcome! That is exciting! It is great that you have broodies to hatch them for you, that takes a lot of the worry and fuss out of the equation. We want to see those babies when they hatch!

I don't need more chicks, but my super special and cute black spotted white frizzle pullet started laying a month or so ago so all the broody hens I have are sitting on her eggs. I cannot wait to see what hatches out. They are super tiny eggs so I doubt I could hatch them myself. I think some are on day 19! She just went broody herself last week. I wasn't sure how she was doing, but I think she is getting the hang of it. I should candle her eggs to see!

Welcome! That is exciting! It is great that you have broodies to hatch them for you, that takes a lot of the worry and fuss out of the equation. We want to see those babies when they hatch!

I don't need more chicks, but my super special and cute black spotted white frizzle pullet started laying a month or so ago so all the broody hens I have are sitting on her eggs. I cannot wait to see what hatches out. They are super tiny eggs so I doubt I could hatch them myself. I think some are on day 19! She just went broody herself last week. I wasn't sure how she was doing, but I think she is getting the hang of it. I should candle her eggs to see!

Yes, so exciting! And I will post pictures of the chicks when they hatch.. If I can figure out how to do it! And that is so exciting with your birds too :) both of the hens that I have sitting are only 6 1/2 months old and started laying not that long ago, and this is there first time going broody, and they are doing a fine job of it! I love seramas so much, and so far I have 5 hens, and 3 roosters! But I would like many more hens. And if you candle your eggs, let us know how they are doing! How tiny are the eggs? Like quarter size?

Last edited:
Hi there! I have three standard hens and room for a few more, but would REALLY like to have some seramas. I can't have roosters in my county (I'd get a little serama rooster anyway since they're quietish, but one of my neighbors is a little spiky) so I'm limited to pullets, but I notice nearly everyone who sells seramas only sells them in pairs or trios with a male. Is there a reason for this? I don't want to have unhappy chickens, if they'll miss their boyfriend or the like, but I want some frizzled serama babies so bad!

Hi there! I have three standard hens and room for a few more, but would REALLY like to have some seramas. I can't have roosters in my county (I'd get a little serama rooster anyway since they're quietish, but one of my neighbors is a little spiky) so I'm limited to pullets, but I notice nearly everyone who sells seramas only sells them in pairs or trios with a male. Is there a reason for this? I don't want to have unhappy chickens, if they'll miss their boyfriend or the like, but I want some frizzled serama babies so bad!

Hello! I am not aloud to have roosters in my area either... 2 of my serama hens came with on rooster. I am so fortunate to have a family member that has an area that I can keep the roosters for me! But I don't quite know why they usually sell in trios! I have gotten all of my other seramas as chicks! :)

The reason is that chicks generally hatch around 50% male and 50% female. So the breeder has to either kill roosters or sell them. Many serama breeders don't want to be constantly killing sweet beautiful roosters. That's no fun at all.

With other breeds where it's really easy to just buy pullets, the males get killed by the farmer because they're larger and better for eating, and they're utility animals, not pets. Seramas are definitely pets.

And most buyers don't want to buy just a rooster/cockerel, so we have to sell pairs or, if it was a generous hatching year and you have more females, we might sell some trios.

Hope that helps!

ps. If you're able to find some pullets, don't worry, they won't miss having a male around.

Last edited:
I don't know... has she hatched eggs before?   I can imagine that would be like having a baby after only 3 months... a little shocking to the system but hopefully she can roll with it!

Do chickens know eggs hatch in three weeks? I read this comment to my husband and he said women wouldn't know they were due in 9 months if we weren't told.
1f610.png

Day 17. 6 good eggs left, down from 24. Lost two to early DIS. Another was a double yolk where one died before the other. All the rest where scrambles or failed to develop past day 3. We'll see what I get to survive hatch.

Day 17. 6 good eggs left, down from 24. Lost two to early DIS. Another was a double yolk where one died before the other. All the rest where scrambles or failed to develop past day 3. We'll see what I get to survive hatch.

Good news about those 6! Hope they hatch for you:)
I candles my eggs today and 6 of them had veins and we're moving around, 2 were clear, and then I didn't candle the rest but there were three more! So I'm hoping that they are developing as well! And and they are supposed to hatch on the 30! Hope they all make it
1f44d-1f3fb.png

:fl for your hatches!

My hen hatched a couple of my super tiny babies and they look good apart from a little pasty bum, probably because they are so small. I have another hen on two of those tiny eggs and a couple more hens on three. I can't wait to see if they are frizzled! Or spotted, I can't remember what their mama looked like when she hatched.

My pullet that layed those eggs went broody but didn't keep them warm enough and none developed. :(. I gave her some second try eggs but might just give her a chick when I have an extra. Some of my hens eggs are a bit staggered so I play musical eggs and chicks.

My first broody Silkies are sitting on a dozen eggs and they are great broodies! They didn't fight over the eggs like my Seramas do. One has pipped so I hope to have a bunch of babies tomorrow!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom