Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

One a dozen. Not two dozen. My wife is mad enough at me having another dozen eggs cooking as it is.

We started out with 5 silkies. That's now 13. And hatched single serama chicks 2x now. So have a 3.5 month and a 1 month serama. Hoping that we get 3-4 of this dozen that make it.

Then I've got to be done or I might be living in the coop with the chickens.

I have some frizzle hens that went broody... I had a hard time keeping track of their eggs even though I marked them. Eggs kept getting thrown out of the nest and I would put them in the bator if I thought they might be still alive. I found a hatched chick in there the other day and another almost hatched yesterday. It was really dry in there... like 30% humidity.

So I ended up with 3 or 4 chicks under the hens and 4 chicks in the brooder with my silkies, but they all hatched within a couple days of each other. The older two are frizzled... so adorable. I like raising Seramas with silkies, I feel like it makes them much more tame.

Chicks making a circle... I guess the lamp was a little too warm in the middle...

Last edited:
We have 2 silkies and a serama in our brooder right now. They are the perfect brooder mates.

Also a single serama in the big run with the adults. He does great out there and no issues being around the adults 2+ times it's size.

Overall both breeds seem super friendly. Glad we picked nice and friendly breeds.

1 chick hatched out of my 2nd egg shipment. It looks like a silver colored chick, or did when it was damp lol. With my 7 total chicks and 4 almost adults I think I have enough serama :)

I have been surfing for information to best hatch Serama eggs. I have some going in the incubator tonight. Any special tips to increase chances of hatching?

Also, what size and type cages are you using? Are your floors solid or wire? And if you have wire cages, what size spacing are the holes?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I dry incubate and run multiple dates of set eggs. My incubation humidity runs between 35-50%, 50 sounds sort of high but I always end up with nice sized air cells for hatching. In my hatcher I generally run around 60-70% humidity. My temps are set for 99.5F since I have air circulation.

Cant answer you about cages since I free range and have small coops or runs for chicks on straight soil (I don't show birds). My chicks are in a Rubbermaid brooder with wood chips and a desk lamp, it's indoors in Florida so I can get away with a lot less than most of you guys up north or in cold climates.

Thanks, yellowherb. That humidity is higher than I normally run but with my house heat still on, I have to keep it up a bit so it doesn't accidentially dry out too much before noted. With the humidity in FL, I can understand you "dry" hatching. At least it gives me a guide. I have a Hovabator Genesis and set it at 99.5 also, but keep an eye on it. Just a different place in the same room can keep a different reading.

I appreciate you sharing your information with me. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom