Serama hens lost their baby. Any chance they will start again?

It's also very hard on a hen to sit for an extended period of time as it depletes her body conditions, so it's not something you want to encourage. Even if they're still willing to sit, you have a higher risk of them simply abandoning the eggs due to timing.

Wouldn’t it be better for the health of the girls to give them at least a month off before encouraging “broody-time”? My first experience observing our “Girlie” broody hen clearly reveals how little they break for running around, dirt bathing, socializing, eating and drink not to mention sitting many hours in this summer’s heat waves.

Wouldn’t it be better for the health of the girls to give them at least a month off before encouraging “broody-time”? My first experience observing our “Girlie” broody hen clearly reveals how little they break for running around, dirt bathing, socializing, eating and drink not to mention sitting many hours in this summer’s heat waves.
They had a break, and then became broody again. My mature Serama rooster has been very sick lately its not looking good for him. They had 5 eggs and only one was fertile. The one was collected even though I marked it. I gave it back to them but I don't think it survived it should have hatched by now. I do have 2 young Serama roosters that just got to breeding age so if they go broody a 3rd time this year that's great, but if not we need to wait until next year

Back
Top Bottom