Serama indoor housing

:pop I really considered the same, I have 7 seramas that have been enjoying the outdoors for a month (they are 2.5 months old), but now it's getting cold... I have a lamp hooked up in my coop but would prefer not to waste that electricity :)

:pop I really considered the same, I have 7 seramas that have been enjoying the outdoors for a month (they are 2.5 months old), but now it's getting cold... I have a lamp hooked up in my coop but would prefer not to waste that electricity :)
In your location you do not need any added heat for your Serama chickens. You can choose to keep them indoors at your choosing.
It is best to keep your chickens in coop and let them acclimate to the cooling temps gradually/naturally.
When I had my Seramas I kept them in my Chicken Winter Housing, in my garage loft. I only maintained temps at around 32* with a wood stove. Anything above that, I did not light the wood stove on.
I'm in Windy City (Chicago) Where temps do get low.
My Gorbie:love

Lovely pic of Gorbie!!! :)

I know I don't really need to bring them in for the winter but I would like to so that I can spend more time with them. I was thinking of buying two large indoor bunny cages and have a couple in each - anybody done that?

Lovely pic of Gorbie!!! :)

I know I don't really need to bring them in for the winter but I would like to so that I can spend more time with them. I was thinking of buying two large indoor bunny cages and have a couple in each - anybody done that?
Okay...it’s a want not a need. I’ve never had them. Was curious. Good luck with your search. Winter is hard on every living thing. I can wait for it no rush here on my end.

Watching this thread... have some adult Seramas outside and some week olds inside, wondering how they’ll fare with our upcoming winter. (Upstate NY
Seramas are obviously not a cold hardy breed. You are in a COLD WINTER area. The second dilemma in your case is your chicks. They will not be all that well feathered out when the chill arrives.
If you read my post above you can see that I tried to keep mine at ABOVE FREEZING TEMPS.
A person in my area that also has some Seramas, first time this year, is considering an electrical heat option. I think this is what was in consideration.
91XJH%2BpwddL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX9K1JI?ref=em_1p_2_ti&ref_=pe_3753960_358536750

I am just passing along this info, but not endorsing it. Another thing not GREAT about providing HEAT, is the possibility of a power outage. You are then stuck between a stone and a hard spot. Your chickens are used to the milder temps in coop , and suddenly the radical change. In my case, I used a wood burning stove (in my garage) that did not depend on electricity to provide heat. Of course I had ample supply of wood.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom