1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama juveniles dying, help!!!! Please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilchik, Jul 12, 2013.

1. lilchik

lilchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    I am losing my Serama juvinile chicks. I have tried researching diseases but haven't found their symptoms. The first one died 2 weeks ago, then 2 more a few days later, 1 more a few days later, 3 more a few days later. I am new to Serama's, getting my first trio February 2013. The juveniles range 3-4 months old. I did not notice anything out of the normal before the first few died. When I found them their body weight wasn't down much, no signs of injury, feathers in good condition, no drainage from nares or eyes. They were roosters and I thought perhaps the oldest rooster had injured them, but as I said there were no signs of injury. But since then, it has been both roosters and hens, and the body weight of the ones found dead is poor. They become lethargic about 24 hours before dying.

They are in a large coop and run, it is clean & dry. They are eating Dumor Chick Grower, non-medicated, it is fresh and the same feed is being fed to my other chicks in other coops, and none have been sick, lost weight, or died. Their water is fresh, provided in a 5 gallon bucket with chicken nipples, changed frequently, and never empty.

Since they have no respiratory, skin, or other visible symptoms I am thinking it could be worms. I have been raising other breeds of chickens for about 6 years and have never had any disease or worm problems. My cochins had mites once a few years ago, but I quickly treated them and dust the coop and nesting boxes when the bedding is changed and have not had this problem since.

Please help, any suggestions???

Also any Serama breeders, are there any particular problems with the breed?

Thanks,
    Tina

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Treat them for Coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,and kills very fast. There are 9 strains of cocci,and most birds have some cocci in their small intestines,sometimes it just gets out of hand. Spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Very common for chicks/older chickens to have an overload of cocci,then we medicate to bring it back under control. Purchase Corid(amprolium),Dosage for Corid 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,Dosage for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment. Make sure medicated water,is the only water they have to drink. Some symptoms of Cocci are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood)fluffed feathers,weight loss,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    Thank you. This sounds like the symptoms. I am treating them starting today and changing to the medicated feed. The reason I used non-medicated is because I also have ducklings and the can not have the medicated. I will just need to keep the feed separated and make sure no one gives the ducklings the medicated feed. I hope this works. It breaks my heart when I lose animals.

4. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    The flock has been medicated with Corid and all feed in all my chicken coops changed to medicated. Fingers crossed that the death is over.

5. lilchik

May 3, 2009
    Rio, WV
    This was the correct diagnoses! Thank you "Ten Chicks"! I have not lost 1 chick since giving the antibiotic and changing my feed to medicated!

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Glad i could help,and happy to hear all your chicks are healthy.

7. Abdur Rehman

Abdur Rehman New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    Pakistan
    hy i m Abdur Rehman from,pakistan.I also interested on hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by