Serama Pair with Full Size Pullets

babyspice35

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Maui Wowee
Currently I have two cages for my chickens- the tractor and the coop/run. My 3 big Pullets are in the run; and the Serama rooster and hen are in the tractor. I want to know if anyone has Seramas that intermingle with their full size chickens. I want to know also, If intermingled, will my little Roo attempt to mate with the larger ones and/or attempt to be the Alfa? Also, Are Serama roosters content with only one hen? The serama pair are very small, I don't have a scale but I assume they're type A.

Thanks!!! New to the adorable birds!

My Serama roo would always try to fight whatever came around his hen, even the turkeys. He was very protective of her and the chicks when she had them, but they were always kept apart unless they were let out to free range.

People have done it, and yes the roo will try, not likely he'll succeed though, size does matter
big_smile.png

Just watch out for any bullying by the big girls, although Serama's (and other banties) generally have a lot more energy and spark and as long as they have plenty of room, can generally hold their own.

How old are the Seramas btw?

Thank you, perhaps I will try.

They're almost 12 weeks old but they are all filled out, they look fully grown. They must mature faster than other breeds!

They are SOO gorgeous, though and have adorable temperment. The hen is full white (she looks like a dove) and acts like a shy girl and the rooster is almost all white with black tips on his tail and wings, and he is a Tough guy!

Quote:
I intermingle some of my extra roos with all my other breeds (standards and bantams). They do just fine, but they are free range here on the farm on put themselves up at night and I close the door. That means there is plenty of room to get away if there is a problem.

A roo is fine with just one hen. I breed a lot of pairs this way and they dont seem to mind.

He might try to breed with them, my boys prefer the cochins since they can reach and some of my pet meatbird Freedom Ranger hens are HUGE!

He may or may not be the Alpha depending on the hen. I have some black star girls that are the boss of EVERYONE, and only on equal terms with the mean old guineas.

They may not be A class, that is VERY small, as small or smaller than a beer can. Even my B class birds here are smaller than my seabrights. But they might be, you would have to weigh them to be sure. I use a cheap digital food scale to weigh mine.

UPDATE:

My little Roo tried to attack me today when I opened the tractor door. Saw me and charged right at me. He tried pecking me and succeeded, but it didn't hurt at all. So i picked him up and held him until he calmed down. Then I made him to chores with me, he was on my shoulder and quite content. I was doing chores in the big girls pen when he decided to fly down. The three girls looked at me and were like "what is THAT?!?!" It was cute until the alfa female tried to attack the little guy, in which I intervened.
th.gif
I was afraid she'd kill him! She is HUGE!

I'm not sure if I'll try it again. I know its normal but he's like 1/5 her size.. if that! Do you think she will kill him?
hu.gif

Quote:
I intermingle some of my extra roos with all my other breeds (standards and bantams). They do just fine, but they are free range here on the farm on put themselves up at night and I close the door. That means there is plenty of room to get away if there is a problem.

A roo is fine with just one hen. I breed a lot of pairs this way and they dont seem to mind.

He might try to breed with them, my boys prefer the cochins since they can reach and some of my pet meatbird Freedom Ranger hens are HUGE!

He may or may not be the Alpha depending on the hen. I have some black star girls that are the boss of EVERYONE, and only on equal terms with the mean old guineas.

They may not be A class, that is VERY small, as small or smaller than a beer can. Even my B class birds here are smaller than my seabrights. But they might be, you would have to weigh them to be sure. I use a cheap digital food scale to weigh mine.

Hmm... That's good to know.
Where do you get said scale?

The hen is probably capable of killing him.
Maybe you could find a way to introduce them in a safe way??

Also, Ive never had an aggressive Serama roo......is he normally like that? Unusual......

You can get food scales at Walmart etc...they are 10-15 bucks
or to be more thrifty you can post on Craigslist for one that someone is not using or try to see if you have a local Yahoo Freecycle or Cheapcycle group!

Currently I have two cages for my chickens- the tractor and the coop/run. My 3 big Pullets are in the run; and the Serama rooster and hen are in the tractor. I want to know if anyone has Seramas that intermingle with their full size chickens. I want to know also, If intermingled, will my little Roo attempt to mate with the larger ones and/or attempt to be the Alfa? Also, Are Serama roosters content with only one hen? The serama pair are very small, I don't have a scale but I assume they're type A.

Thanks!!! New to the adorable birds!
Hello!
We have 1 Sermeya roo with 4 Sermeya hens in the same coop with 5 large hens and 1 enormous lavender Orrington roo.
The little roo never tries to breed the big hens, however the big roo has tried to breed the little hens several times. I stop him if I catch him.
They all live and love each other. The big roo penetrated a Sermeya hen and it stretched her vent out really bad. I though she would die but no! She follows him more than the little roo now.
I hope this info helps
-SD

Back
Top Bottom