Serama questions

Karenin

Chirping
Nov 19, 2020
Hi,
I just got my first two seramas a boy and a girl, and I have a couple of questions...

My first question is that the girl seems to peck the boy in the face a lot it doesn’t seem to bother (or hurt) him. Should I stop her or is this normal serama behavior?
My second question is how can I get them to like me? They let me pick them up (although I have to hold them both at once or the boy will get upset), but they don’t really let me pet them much unless I’m holding them, they also don’t really want to be picked up much, but once I’m holding them they don’t want to leave. Is there any way to get them to look forward to being held?

Thank you!

6BA4E2D8-79D2-4912-864B-D9A81A475F55.jpeg
9D1638B1-C943-4C10-8142-5C8428F8949B.jpeg
Here are some pictures of them!

They are so adorable!
I think this is part of chicken behavior. As long as they're not hurting each other or causing bloody areas, I wouldn't interfere or try to stop this behavior in any way.
For the second question, you can offer treats while you're holding them so they associate you with good stuff! Also, sit with them in their area without grabbing for them. Let them come to see you or check out the exciting treats you have for them. With a little patience, they'll start trusting you.

They are so adorable!
I think this is part of chicken behavior. As long as they're not hurting each other or causing bloody areas, I wouldn't interfere or try to stop this behavior in any way.
For the second question, you can offer treats while you're holding them so they associate you with good stuff!
Thanks for the help! I won’t try to stop them anymore. I’ve tried giving them treats while they are in their crate (they are quarantined indoors before I put them with my other chickens) but they didn’t take them. I came back later and they were gone, but they don’t seem to like taking treats from me.

Back
Top Bottom