Serama rooster not using one wing

uisceros

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me with this issue I just discovered this morning. I have a tiny standard serama rooster named Magnus. I was just outside with him, and noticed he is not using one of his wings. Otherwise I see no other symptoms. He is eating, and tidbitting for his ladies. He’s crowing, and his comb seems normal.

Right before I noticed this he got into a scrape with two of my big Wyandotte girls (he’s normally kept with three Serama girls, but I was letting them wander a bit while I was with them). Could they have done this damage then?

Here’s the relevant info:
1) What type of bird , age and weight :
Standard serama rooster, about 8 months old, 1.1lbs (I weighed him just now, and this was about what he was last time I weighed him)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Floppy right wing. Otherwise normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
As far as I can tell, only today.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Not that I can tell. No bleeding or missing feathers. I don’t think it’s broken, but I can’t really tell.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
See above about the incident with the Wyandottes.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Plain water, and Purina flock raiser. Plus scratch and treats.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Nothing abnormal that I can tell.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing so far.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Magnus is a pet foremost, so I will take him to the vet if needed.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See attached

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Magnus is in a small coop (mypetchicken clubhouse coop + run) with three hens. He is not free ranged. I have them on espoma sanicare, with Koop clean as their henhouse bedding. I provide them with occasional hay to forage through, as well as a dirt/sand bath.

The only other thing I can thing of is that I don’t believe he is Marek’s vaccinated. Most of my chickens are, but I bought my Seramas from a local breeder. Until now I never noticed any issue with the little ones at all. They’ve always been pretty healthy.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• E99D6984-FEFC-470D-8E6E-DDEE078CEE93.jpeg
    E99D6984-FEFC-470D-8E6E-DDEE078CEE93.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 503759A7-A729-4BDE-9329-50806688E7B8.jpeg
    503759A7-A729-4BDE-9329-50806688E7B8.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 4
  • 08CC7F8E-7D9E-4CC6-89A7-AA81C3AF96FC.jpeg
    08CC7F8E-7D9E-4CC6-89A7-AA81C3AF96FC.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
He may have gotten injured when he got into a scrap with the Wyandottes. If his wing doesn't look or feel broken, my best guess would be possibly a strain or a sprain.

I would check just to make sure nothing feels uneven in the wing. You can compare with the other wing if you aren't sure.

I hope he feels better soon.

Back
Top Bottom