serama rooster with bluish comb

CricketWilliams

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
I have a 2 year old very tiny serama rooster, who developed a bluish comb recently. I have spent a few hours trying to track down the cause. I have treated him with an antibiotic, vitamins, and for mites, which he didn't have. Nothing has helped. I am wondering if he might have a heart condition. Or is there some skin condition that could be the problem? He does'nt seem ill at all, and all other roos here have bight red combs. Please give me some help.

it sounds like your doing a good job so far. there are illnesses that can cause the comb to turn blue. also dehydration, and minor breathing issues can cause it.
check to see if you can see anything in his throat, if so remove it.
check your water's ph. if its low add some baking soda to bring it up to about 6.5, if its high add apple cider vinegar to lower it.
if you haven't given any antibiotics in a couple of days, give (for 3 days) 1.5/10 cc to 2/10 cc of tylan 250 in the breast. pull your needle out slightly before pushing the plunger in-- and it always is good to have a helper.

sometimes just giving them electrolytes does cure it too.

good luck,
brian

hi I looked this condition up in my health book for chickens. matching his age it says bluish comb can be related to aspergillosis
. the organs effected are respiratory sometimes liver and brain. cause is molds found in the environment of all poultry especially in areas of surrounding feeders and waterer. usually can be seen in waterers appears green while growing in water. also can be found in dirty litter or hidden in litter also in grain. it can be caused by breathing the air of litter also. also in dusty conditions. it says you can control the spread by adding copper sulphate 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water in non metal waterer for 5 days and change out litter. this stops the spread. but unfortunately it says once they have this disease IF this is what he has; it can not be cured.it says you can try thiabendazole at the rate of 10mg/lb or 22mg/kg. every 12 hours. it is possible this treatment might work. it is a fungus in the lungs. it says its incidence is world wide. its incubation period is two weeks. other diseases that cause bluish comb for his age is tuberculosis and blue comb.blue comb is not likely because symptoms include loss of appetite weight loss sour smelling crop sunken eyes diarrhea cold feeling body. another disease causing bluish comb is lymphoid leukosis.symptoms sometimes are not present or bluish comb sometimes vent feathers spotted with white findings are tumors in kidneys; liver; spleen; lungs; heart; and bone marrow. sometimes you can feel enlarged abdomen. this is also common world wide. this progression is usually chronic. cause is a group of retrovirus that primarily effect chickens. it says sometimes you can also feel the enlarged kidney. no treatment for this disease. the last disease that could cause bluish comb is cholera. but symptoms do not match. symptoms are weight loss thirst lameness swelling of leg joints sinus swollen ect. I hope this helps. for his age I've went over all the possible causes of bluish comb that matches his age and hopefully this brings you closer to an answer. I do hope this was helpful for you. I do wish you the best. good luck. perhaps go over this and see if one more closely matches him. I tried to be complete. I got these answers out of my chicken Heath handbook diagnostic guide. I really hope it helps you.

Thanks so much, and I'm trying all of the above. It's hard for me to believe he's gotten something from the water or litter. Since I have each couple in individual coops and runs-just for 21 birds, I spend about 4 hours a day keeping everything clean.
I'm trying the copper sulfate first, assuming I can find it. Where do I purchase this and the thiabedazole? This tiny little roo is very important to me. I only got 1 hatch out from his girl's eggs-and I do have his roo. I am sitting here crying as I'm answering this. Thanks again.

I found out blue comb could be also a vitamin B1 defiencey. so I'd try the vitamin B1. I did more research and found this for you!! hope this helps more!

if you live in a wet area aspergillosis is a possibility, but it usually occurs where the same bedding has been used for more than 2 years, and stays damp. if your birds are in a dry dusty location its more than likely respiratory infection from dust. either way, raw apple cider vinegar cures most respiratory infections naturally.
none of us like to see sick birds, and there are so many things commonly overlooked. for instance ive been talking with a guy in Arizona who has very little problems with respiratory problems, where here in ohio it is always a concern. also different insects, chemicals in ground, even water ph plays a big role in problems.
unfortunately most illnesses cause similar problems in your chickens, blue comb, swollen eyes and wattles, etc.

as you get this rooster cured, you might check your water's ph. keep your waterers clean as ph can affect algea groth and algea can change ph. its a good idea to check your water's ph after large storms as they can change it, most water supply companies are not required to alter ph to nutral... chickens (here) appear to do best at about 6.5 I lower my ph with the acv.

you say you keep things clean, this is important to health. a lot of people don't realize that a lot of their bird's illnesses come from barn swallows or other birds. you may need to bock some birds from your coop.

hope this helps
brian

Brian,
You are great to take so much time with this. I am retired, and spend may hours each day cleaning each coop-everyday. Water is changed at least 2 times. I am going to put the cider vinegar in his water, and hope for a cure. I use cider vinegar for loose stools, and of course he doesn't have any other problem. that I've noticed.
I love him and will be really sad if I can't get him well. I'l let you know.

Does he seem to be breathing normally? Any gaping, gasping? Does his breath rattle, or sound wet, etc?

Does he seem woozy or "light headed" at all? This might be very subtle, such as a slight stumble, or not wanting to be as energetic as normal.

Besides what is mentioned above, this often occurs when the body is not getting enough oxygen... either due to a problem in the lungs, or heart.

A problem in the lungs can be many things, such as respiratory infections, aspergillosis as mentioned, etc. Heart problems can indicate a genetic problem, or possible tumor growth.

I hope you can puzzle it out soon!

Since he appears healthy, and no one else is ill, and I thought I had tried several things that didn't help, I have been worried that it was his heart. He has no breathing problem that is detectible. As you mentioned, the subtle thing could be that I don't find him perching as high as he once did.
He was born without feathers and very tiny. Another serama opened his wings, and kept him warm. I watched over him constantly. He was a perfect bird at 1 yr.
I will keep working at a solution. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom