Serama vs Cochin

Seramas have to have heat. They cannot tolerate cold. Therefore they are more high maintenance and less practical as far as chickens go.

Nothing beats a Bantam Cochin. Cold hearty, floofy little incubating machines. Plus they're the perfect shape - round.

They are not super heat tolerant though. So if you live in say, the deep south, Cochins may not be for you.

My parents had bantam cochins about 20 years ago and they never went broody. :idunno Here is a list of the most important features for the breed to have:
  1. Disease resistance
  2. Broodyness
  3. Cold hardiness
  4. small size
  5. heat hardiness

I had a Serama freeze solid when temps went below 20, Unless you add heat they do not handle extreme cold temps. Seramas are much smaller. As far as going broody all my hens go broody 3 times a year and I can't break them of it. I just gave up and let them over produce since they do not eat much and I can sell them cheap on craigslist.

... Cochins will hatch out more chicks, I have had many Seramas go broody at once, sit on many eggs, then one chick hatches and all of them get off their eggs and raise one chick together. So its not a real efficient broody situation with them. Cochins do a better job of raising a brood.

I had a Serama freeze solid when temps went below 20, Unless you add heat they do not handle extreme cold temps. Seramas are much smaller. As far as going broody all my hens go broody 3 times a year and I can't break them of it. I just gave up and let them over produce since they do not eat much and I can sell them cheap on craigslist.

... Cochins will hatch out more chicks, I have had many Seramas go broody at once, sit on many eggs, then one chick hatches and all of them get off their eggs and raise one chick together. So its not a real efficient broody situation with them. Cochins do a better job of raising a brood.

My Cochin gal is great at adopting too. The chicks can be completely different looking than what she has and can outnumber what she's hatched and shell take them as long as they accept her

My Cochin gal is great at adopting too. The chicks can be completely different looking than what she has and can outnumber what she's hatched and shell take them as long as they accept her
Sadly every cochin I have ever had was killed by a pitbull in 6 different attacks. I never found out how they managed their brood. I can just say that Seramas were very broody but the results of their broodiness were less than satisfactory.

Back
Top Bottom