Seramas Question

I will get some more pics of them and their offspring. I usually end up with white chicks, black chicks, chocolate colored chicks and gray chicks. I have a young pair of each now that I am considering selling.

Pics please!
That color is neat! Would love to check out the offspring.
Lucky you---!
I would love to have some chocolate birds! How about earlobes? Do they have white in them or all they all red?

Here is some pics of their offspring.

38371_1192009_029.jpg

38371_1192009_061.jpg

38371_1192009_054.jpg

I think they are Seramas. The darker colors I have seen darker legs. The roo and some of the babies have the definate Serama "look". In Malaysia there are actually many "types" of Seramas depending on the conformation (body type/style). I would have to go back and look but I want to say 5 or 6 types. Seramas found here in the USA tend not to be of the severe Serama type known as the "dragon" type withthe far cocked back head, super huge breast and extreme tiny size. Here in the USA I'm seeing a trend for a cross of two types. Check out the SCNA website- I believe the articles there go into detail
smile.png

Quote:
I am no experts but I did enough research to know what a true serama look like. Sorry to tell you that those birds are not pure serama, they might be mix with oegb.
sad.png
The one in the middle pic look exactly like my little bother's self blue oegb cockerel. His tail feathers, long legs, long back and wings carrage look more like oegb characteristic then serama. Here are a few links with oegb pics for you to see the similarity. Just my 2 cents....

http://eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1257827819

http://eggbid.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1257833301

Im not thinking those birds are pure at all. The one roo was kind of weird shaped, with some serama-esque qualities like shorter back and high round chest, but wings are way too short and tail base is unusual.

Seems to be passing on bad traits for a Serama.
In the offspring, the legs are waaaay too long and so is the back. There is no V shape at all.

The comb is already way too big on that young light colored bird. I think I can see seabright in him something about the face and chest.
He is lacking Many qualities that make a serama a serama.......

They are pretty, but I definitely wouldnt sell them as serama.

How about "really pretty cute little chickens"?

Here is a previous "rant?" about type in the birds from another thread that I posted.

Size is somewhat important, but the MAIN importance is type! Especially if you are going to breed them. The serama breed is already flooded with birds that dont look like they are suppose to. Some look NOTHING like they are suppose to.

Im going to add this for future readers to make a point. ("YOU" is used generally)
I usually use dogs as an example since people understand dogs better.
dalmatian.jpg

Lets say you want a dalmatian, and its a relatively new breed that not a lot are familiar with. You luckily find a cheaper pair locally, but they have a deeper chest, too long of a nose than what the standard calls for and a fluffy tail. Other than that, it has the spots and the height and weight are a little on the larger size, but within the range. You like them for the cool spots and size and figure that some in the next generation will surely be smaller. Everyone can get runts, right?

Would you still consider those dog as a pure bred dalmatian?
teller.jpg

What if you didnt really know what a dalmatian was suppose to look like--like you never studied the standard. I mean, it has spots and is the right size--is that what makes a Dalmatian a Dalmatian?

OR-- Would you study type first and talk to reputable breeders about what are major and minor faults? Really know what you are looking for when you buy your breeders.

Would you breed them and sell the offspring even thought they have the wrong tail and nose?
Sure, you could selectively breed for a few YEARS and if you are lucky probably get a smooth tail and the shorter nose and more narrow chest...if you took the time and kept lots of records.

Would you be willing to cull the "incorrect" offspring to get them out of these gene pool, or would you want to sell them to cover the cost of food?

You will probably have to sell them cheaper to get rid of them, since you now know they are incorrect. Some do or dont tell their excited customers about what they have learned from the standard. Some dont want to lose a sale!

What do you think that your customers are going to do with your "culls"? They are going to breed them too, and some are not going to care about the ears and tail and sell these "cull dogs" to more unsuspecting breeders who are going to breed more and more. Next thing you know, the market is flooded with incorrect Dalmatians.

While seramas do come in what seems like a million different colors as well as having almost every leg color out there (I've not really seen any true white legs), your birds do seem to be carrying a lot of OEGB blood in them based on the offspring's photos.

Back
Top Bottom