Seramas?

I love to hear my serama roo crowing. He'll crow himself hoarse trying to out do the other roos. It may not be as loud as a standards, but he lets you know he's there just the same.

Quote:
Sharisr, how'd you get Egg Killer???
idunno.gif

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

yeah I was going to ask that too

Quote:
Crow @ 2 weeks old? Wow! Mines 2 months old and I don't hear anything. Haha. Maybe he doesn't crow? Haha. Anyhow...the father of mine crows like...NOTTHING! Lol. His crow is so small I have to stand right NEXT to the cage to hear it. I mean...literally! And he doesnt even crow that much too...maybe 3-5 times a day the friend said...thats why he was able to keep like 12 of them in his gated community home.

They are "apartment-friendly" for sure : )

I am getting Garuda 4 "mates" soon from the friend too so I can have 5 al-together.

- Tommy

I have hundreds of Serama and I am happy to share. They are fun little birds.

The crow volume is no where near the volume of the big roos that live near me.

Smaller Serama have smaller crows in my experience. It is widely reported that their crow is 1/3 the volume of regular roosters - I have never checked that, but I started raising them in a golf course community and kept them a secret - I don't think the crows of larger birds would have escaped notice.

I do think that crow volume varies a good bit and on the SCNA board there was a fellow trying to breed for low crow volume - he found it disappointedly random.

The nice thing about Serama is that they can be kept in a small hutch in your house or garage so that their crow is contained until a respectable hour - so you can release them into the yard later in the day.

People who claim easy hatching and loud volume may be referring to the larger Serama who are nearly the size of OEG. The smaller birds are harder to hatch and not cold hardy. Some of the people who sell eggs and birds via Ebay and such sell eggs from 2 pound Seramas - so ask before you buy. The ideal weight for a Serama roo is only 16 ounces and many look for the 12 ounce boys for breeding.

Back
Top Bottom