Serema chick weak, wobbly

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HeidiN, Mar 15, 2019.

1. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    i have a 4 week old serema chick who is struggling. Her body is constantly wobbling, swaying, in almost a circular pattern, and when she walks, she has a difficult time balancing. She is eating, and I have been trying to give vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics with a dropper, but she does drink in her own sometimes.

I thought maybe she had hurt a Foot or leg, but she’s been like this about 1.5-2 weeks now. I’m not sure what to think. Is it Failure to Thrive, or possibly a neurological disorder? She’s about half the size of her hatchmate. Her poop looks normal. She gets trampled a bit, but there are only 2 other chicks with her, so it’s not as bad as if there were 10 chicks trampling her.

Saaniya likes this.
  2. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017

Seems like Vitamin Deficiency mostly concerned calcium and vitamin E

You should give her Multi-vitamins or baby Vitamins without iron and see her improvement

You can give her calcium D3
    And vitamin E capsule broke one in water and give
    Also feed her boiled egg daily

rosemarythyme likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Might want to add vitamin B complex to that as well. I had a "spinner" that did ok with chick vitamins at first, then it worsened to the point where she couldn't even stand without falling over (diagnosed as possible wry neck). I gave her liquid vitamin B complex + vitamin E + a little scrambled egg and tuna for selenium to help with absorption (all of that was mixed into fermented food). It took 4-5 weeks before she was steady enough to rejoin the other birds.

4. HeidiN

HeidiN Chirping

Jan 8, 2017
    North Idaho
    Oh boy, I’m not sure I have all those things on hand. She’s getting to where she can hardly stand. It’s pitiful. I have liquid b12, calcium and d3 (for people) but not the others. How do you figure dosage?i don’t want to give her too much.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    She doesn't need the calcium. I read that it's hard to overdose on vitamin B so I did the unscientific method and put in several drops from a dropper every day.

Liquid vitamin E can be picked up in the supplements section of most food or drug stores. I wish I could remember the recommended dosage...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: