Serious concerns about blending my chicken family...HELP!

Leavingegypt

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
This is my first "flock", so bear with me. 10 weeks ago I brought 6 day old chicks home. 3 BO (one a rooster) and 3 Production Red hens. They have gone from plastic bin brooder to a sheltered outdoor run (temp housing). Their new coop is done now, but have not been able to make it their home. All 6 get along wonderfully- we have no pecking or picking. They are inseperable.
I have always planned to have at least 3 more hens, Amerucanas, to our family. I have the opportunity to do just that with pullets who are 9 weeks old.
My problem/ question is how do I blend 3 more pullets into a stabile flock?
Do I wait to introduce the coop to them all or do I do it now with the 6 and hope the other 3 get the idea?
What can I expect from having a group of 3 that have been together added to a group of six just as bonded?

I'm no expert here but I would let them see each other for a while like through some fencing in the coop and live like that for a while. I put in 35 girls with my 12 established girls and yea there was a little pecking at first but they were able to run away and shortly it all worked out. My older gals still after 7 months don't roost with the newbies they retire to their seperated sides but they all get along just fine.

in my opinion, unless you're getting the new birds from a hatchery, you need to put them through a month of isolation. if they're harboring a disease, by the time you know something is wrong, they can wipe out your other babies. so put your babies in the coop & in a month start introducing the new ones. that's what i would do.

I can also have pure bred Amerucanas hatched for me. Might it be better to raise the chicks? Although that's a BIG age difference.

Back
Top Bottom