Serious Injury, please help!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630111037.htm

Honey is a natural antibiotic. it prevents bacterial growth and aids in healing. It has been proven to be more effective that antibiotic creams in healing burns and abrasions and I know of vet techs who have used it, particularly on injuries that have been resistant to antibiotics. It is also a desirable choice for animals since it will not hurt them if they ingest some. Our girl's injury is easily in her reach and i don't want her getting any chemicals in her system. That said, I appreciate your suggestions and will look into those products if we find the honey isn't working. It always has int he past on us and our pets, but I'm sure there are exceptions. Our vet said he can also give us an oral antibiotic if necessary.

Talk to the vet and see if they will give an antibiotic shot. We had a little Silver Campine rooster that had his wings chewed off by a racoon at 6 weeks. We got him an antibiotic shot from the vet and kept him bandaged and in the house for a few weeks. Now he lives in his own chicken tractor with his two girlfriends. Chickens are very resilient and should do fine, ours did.

We will definitely take her in for a shot if she gets infected. I'm SO glad to hear that they can heal from these types of things. The missing one was still not back at bedtime, so I'm sad knowing that we probably lost her. We lost one other to racoons last year because they broke into the coop one night, so I'm guessing that was what went after them this time too. Since they were out, they at least had the chance to get away. We have had a huge problem with racoons to the point where my hubby had to start shooting them. They were literally chewing through the wood siding on the coop trying to get in. He killed 14 last year, and we were hoping this spring would be better, but having an attack this early isn't a good sign. :(

Honey is a natural antibiotic. it prevents bacterial growth and aids in healing. It has been proven to be more effective that antibiotic creams in healing burns and abrasions and I know of vet techs who have used it, particularly on injuries that have been resistant to antibiotics. It is also a desirable choice for animals since it will not hurt them if they ingest some. Our girl's injury is easily in her reach and i don't want her getting any chemicals in her system. That said, I appreciate your suggestions and will look into those products if we find the honey isn't working. It always has int he past on us and our pets, but I'm sure there are exceptions. Our vet said he can also give us an oral antibiotic if necessary.

That is fantastic! I never knew that and will remember this discussion. I am in no way putting you on to the right path. I know what I know without knowing about honey forgive me but the advise is true and the concern is true for you from me also. I wish you the best of luck. I really mean it our chickens are like our kids and family pets so I understand and want to do onlky the best for them and you. Steve

It's ok Steve, no offense taken. I really appreciate the suggestions because you never know what will work. I'm still concerned since we weren't able to get the wound pulled together and glued, and while honey has proven very effective for us, it's nice to have back up options. Nothing works 100% and I was not familiar with the products you mentioned. I have to say though that honey kicks ***** in my experience. It's especially effective on burns, but has worked well to heal pretty much any kind of cut or scrape we've had to deal with. I sliced off a small little piece of my thumb while chopping veggies a couple of years ago and it healed even that. I held the little piece on and put some honey on it and held it in place with a bandage. The little piece actually reattached itself and was healed in a couple of weeks. I don't even have a scar now. My son had a bad burn from a hot pipe on my FIL's motorcycle and hney was a miracle healer for that too, healed in a week or two and no scar. You want to use raw honey if possible to get the maximum benefits, but in our experience, it really is amazing. I'll keep you all posted on how our sweet girl is doing, but so far so good. :)

Thank you so much for your reply. If we can keep it from getting infected, can they heal from an injury like that?

And Thank you, I'm glad to be here. I've been a huge fan of this site and referenced it many times since we got our girls last year. I just wish it wasn't such a terrible situation that prompted me to finally join. :(

Hi hun, i really hope she heals quick, when one of mine had a wound on her eye i gave her baby asprin for the pain and temprature. it wouldnt hurt to give her some.
hugs.gif

So pleased to hear she is doing well at the moment- You have sold me on the Honey- I am going to get some for my first aid kit! Hope she continues to improve

Honey is wonderful stuff. You couldn't have used a better antibiotic. We use it for ourselves when we get cuts, burns, etc. It is also a wonderful antacid.

Back
Top Bottom