Serious Injury

That is way too logical ahaha. Great idea. I'd say just be careful about dyes and treatments?
At first I was like 'what do they use for human skin grafts?" but then I realized you can't just buy synthetic skin, so the next option is real skin.That's the issue with leather, especially miscellaneous little scraps-dyes, treatments, chemicals, etc.

I will post pictures tomorrow morning. There is nothing about the wound that can be “glued together. There is no skin left to repair. But I can’t explain accurately so I’ll post pictures tomorrow.
We need pictures of this wound. She should be inside, so it should be ok to take pictures.

Temporary skin covering?
Cleaned, preserved and sterilized tilapia skin like they use in foreign burn wards.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/brazilian-city-uses-tilapia-fish-skin-treat-burn-victims

But if it reaches the point that it can't heal over on its own I would put the chicken down. Animals can recover from some pretty horrific wounds. If it's bad enough they need the fish skin it's bad enough to not let them suffer through amateur treatment and I'd put the bird down or take them to the vet.

That's fair. It depends on her spirits I guess. I usually err on the side of trying too hard, but this may be a bit out there.

But I mean. I bet she can heal from her wounds. It's just that she cant do that if she cant eat.

*rereads first post*

actually I'm not sure about the exposed tendons thing if I'm reading that correctly.

Is she inside? She needs urgent care if the wound is this serious, you can't wait until tomorrow.
She is in the coop in my quarantine, “hospital pen”. I’ve been providing wound care since the injury happened a week ago. My question was mainly asked because it’s my first serious injury to a hen and I want advice from others who may have experienced this. I’m willing to give her the care and time she needs to heal if there is really a possibility she can / will heal. I am hopeful she can!

That's fair. It depends on her spirits I guess. I usually err on the side of trying too hard, but this may be a bit out there.
She has a survivors heart for sure. She doesn’t fight my treating it and still likes to walk around and flap her wings when I let her out of the hospital cage!!!

She is in the coop in my quarantine, “hospital pen”. I’ve been providing wound care since the injury happened a week ago. My question was mainly asked because it’s my first serious injury to a hen and I want advice from others who may have experienced this. I’m willing to give her the care and time she needs to heal if there is really a possibility she can / will heal. I am hopeful she can!
A week ago?!?!?!??! She hasn't had anything proper to eat or drink in a WEEK!?!? That's not good. Just because she is separated from other chickens isn't good enough. She'll get dirt and bacteria in the wound. Bring her inside.

A week ago?!?!?!??! She hasn't had anything proper to eat or drink in a WEEK!?!? That's not good. Just because she is separated from other chickens isn't good enough. She'll get dirt and bacteria in the wound. Bring her inside.
The quarantine cage is completely separated from the rest of the coop. Its climate controlled. I opted to put her there as she panicked when I brought her in and wouldn’t settle down. I chose to put her out there to keep her calm. She drinks water all day, but hasn’t eaten.

The quarantine cage is completely separated from the rest of the coop. Its climate controlled. I opted to put her there as she panicked when I brought her in and wouldn’t settle down. I chose to put her out there to keep her calm. She drinks water all day, but hasn’t eaten.
What are you using for bedding?

Back
Top Bottom