1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serious question I really need to ask...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amynbrent, Jul 5, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    We have a tree swallow that fell out of the nest. The nest wont accept it back. Can I put it with a mama hen? I'm trying to save this little guy and that is all I can think of.

2. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I tried it since she has a baby chick that size. It didnt look like it was going well but the baby bird is now cuddled up next to my hen and so far so good....just what to feed it.

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Wish I knew what to tell you. but good luck! [​IMG]

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I've heard that it is a fallacy that a mother won't accept a chick back into the nest that has fallen out. I know I've made my share of mistakes with rescueing baby birds that did not need rescueing. Wishing you all the best and look forward to hearing your hen was able to raise the chick. I would call an animal rescue group or go online to see what to feed it. Swallows eat mostly bugs.

5. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    Chickens are precocious and tree swallow babies are not. They rely on their mother to feed them, well after they have learned to fly. Try to put it back in the nest or get it to an animal rehabilitator. The hen just doesn't have the means to care for the tree swallow chick, other than provide warmth.

6. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Quote:This sounds right to me. I agree.

7. 3morgans

3morgans New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    Sometimes baby birds are "pushed" out of the nest before they can fly if they get too big and/or there are too many siblings. Or blown out with high winds. You didn't say why you felt it couldn't go back to the nest? I agree that returning it would be ideal, but then that isn't always possible.

Swallows eat bugs....you might have to poke the bugs down its gullet a ways. And usually a nest baby is not drinking water, just gettng moisture from the bugs mom brings it.

Good luck!

8. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    they are correct a hen will not feed the baby bird which she needs. If you have tried putting the baby back and it's kicked out again then i would call a rehab place or do your best to care for it but it probably won't make it. I've only had one in the many we tried saving make it. If it's kicked from the nest there was probably a reason the mother did it. They will take them back if you put it in there usually. Watch out for nervous parents dive bombing you though. [​IMG] I'd also be careful because my little hens just tore a baby bird to pieces! [​IMG]

9. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Put it back because we figured out it wouldnt get fed. The mom pushed it back out. Wish I never saw the bird, we save every stray animal around here. It's a bigger baby but cant fly.

10. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    so sorry. [​IMG] She must have pushed it our for a reason the first time. Most likely there is something wrong that we cannot see and she does??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by