Seriously, $8 per bag for duck food?

I am not sure why feed is going up, because the commodities has dropped big time. which makes me sad because that means my fields are looseing value by the day.

Quote:
Shelley, I have been feeding them game bird feed through 3 generations based on much research and scientific studies of wild mallard stomach contents. This topic has been much debated. Do a search. There are some doosies
big_smile.png

I feed my ducks and quail the same thing. Since it is "only" 24% protein, I give hard boiled duck eggs to my baby quail to get the protein percentage higher. For the ducks, they also get greens, but their favorite supplements are the minnows, string algae, duckweed and worms.

I have to agree,
I feed my ducks ( I have more than just mallards ) 20% protein, plus I add cracked corn to the feed for even more protein, and i have not once, in 5 years had a single problem. The feed is intended to be fed to all poultry.

20% protein is not gamebird feed. Cracked corn only has either 9% or 12% protein so you aren't really adding anything.

Wow, feed prices are all over the board!

I think it has a lot to do with where you live. I think that half the cost in feed is in its transportation, and the closer you live to the big corn and wheat fields, the better your price.

Quote:
Well, you've got the drought in the midwest/southwest. You've got the oil and food companies buying up an enormous amount of grain for fuel and food additives. And finally, most of the grain has been sold to other countries leaving us with next to nothing. It's that simple. Companies in the US is going after the big dollar rather then feeding there own.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, you've got the drought in the midwest/southwest. You've got the oil and food companies buying up an enormous amount of grain for fuel and food additives. And finally, most of the grain has been sold to other countries leaving us with next to nothing. It's that simple. Companies in the US is going after the big dollar rather then feeding there own.

I don't think you understood my post. The commodities market is in chicago. That is the wall street for all commodities(grain, corn, beans, cotton) They set the market price for commodities. The speculators said we are going to have more corn and soybeans then the country can handle, so the price per bushel keeps dropping. Last i checked it dropped $4 a bushel. I got 50 bushels to the acre last year. so right now that is a loss of $200 an acre. It has been dropping everyday for the past month.

That is todays tradeing price $12.50 a bushel

Quote:
OH.......MY........GOSH! Are you kidding? $14 doesn't sound so bad! I can't imagine. WOW.

Back
Top Bottom