seriously?!? I need to buy EGGS!

Quote:
ep.gif
that STINKS!!!!! I almost had to buy eggs at the grocery store last week. It would have been the first time in 4 years I would have to eat nasty grocery store eggs. And just as I was getting depressed about not having my homegrown eggs, my pullets I hatched this past spring started laying!
celebrate.gif
I'm sorry y'all have to take the walk of shame down the egg aisle, honestly I would almost rather go without eggs then buy them from the store!

Quote:
ep.gif
that STINKS!!!!! I almost had to buy eggs at the grocery store last week. It would have been the first time in 4 years I would have to eat nasty grocery store eggs. And just as I was getting depressed about not having my homegrown eggs, my pullets I hatched this past spring started laying!
celebrate.gif
I'm sorry y'all have to take the walk of shame down the egg aisle, honestly I would almost rather go without eggs then buy them from the store!

I was just getting used to my pullets laying, then 1, then 0, then 2, then 0...... So I pulled up my hood, put on my sunglasses and took the walk of shame and bought store bought eggs:(
barnie.gif

My Goodness...this is all very sad news but somehow I feel a little vindicated....

I am new to this chicken stuff...got my first chickens this year March 3rd and they were 3 days old....mid July I started getting 2 or 3 eggs a day by the end of July I was getting 4 or 5 then all of August I was up to about 6 or 7 eggs a day and this carried on until mid September then went down to 3 or 4 then 1 or 2 then only 1 and now for 10 I have had no eggs..........

I have 13 chickens and should be gettting something and they are only just 7 months old.........I do see feathers lying about but the chickens look healthy and robust and we checked for lice, ticks or any bugs and found none.

I have upped there food to a 20% protein food as suggested by the department of Agriculture

I have added lights to my coop to go on at 5 am because it gets dark here by 7 so this gives them 14 hours of light

I have taken away all their treats excepts greens and carrots no bread, no rice, no potatoes no pasta...just greens

I cut down on the scratch to just a couple handfuls a day and mixed in with the scratch I have cat food..for more protein....

So being new to the chicken thing I have been reading and trying to figure out where I am going wrong...what am I not doing, what am I doing too much of....????

So when I read this board I find I am not the only one in this predicament...so I feel a little vindicated...after having berated myself for being such an idiot for thinking I could possibly raise chickens...now I find out it's not me...it's just what it is with these little girls....

As much as I want eggs....and I do....I would never give up my girls...I just love them so much...they make me feel peacful and happy inside and I will never give that up.......

So I told them if they were doing this to try and get sent to a new home they could forget it...they are stuck here so they may as well just give me some eggs !!!!!!!!

that fox thing sure didn't help things! We have lost a few to traveling foxes now. We are seriously discussing a flock dog, but with a new baby coming very soon, now is not the time! Lol.

I will look into the christmas lights, thanks!

it isn't a huge deal, but it is good to know I am not alone!

Quote:

I wouldn't worry as much as you are, it's just that time of year, cold weather, sun cycles, etc... Your not doing anything wrong. I'd take out the lights and let them do their thing naturally, it's better for them. In the spring you will have so many eggs you won't know what to do with them.
smile.png
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom