seriously injured rooster

juliachick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
(Northeastern PA)
Our favorite rooster and only silkie rooster was attacked by my dog today. Yes my dog. I'm heartbroken. The poor guy doesn't seem like hes going to make it. He lost a wing totally and has a bit on his head. He's still breathing but eyes closed. I feel like I should have my husband put him out of his misery but once had a chicken survive a fox attack that we never thought she would. He's not moving though....just breathing. Should I end this suffering for him or try to save him?

Sorry about your rooster, I'm very attached to mine and know how upsetting it is :(.
I've also seen chickens survive some very nasty injuries, I'd give him some time to get over the shock and see if there is any improvement. (My old rooster was attacked by a fox whilst defending the flock, he was on the ground completely unresponsive - I was sure he was going to die but brought him inside anyway - and the next morning he was ok). They can be pretty amazing sometimes :).
Good luck with your roo.

How terrible for you :(
They can come back from some horrific looking injuries so long as infection doesn't set in. My rooster, who was attacked by a fox, had several nasty bites and scrapes and felt sure he'd die, but he pulled through (physically, not mentally :/).
I'd make sure he was all cleaned up, given a good spray on the wing stump and head injury (dabbed on with cotton wool for the head) and put him in a straw lined box somewhere dark and warm.
If he's looking for food and water in 24hrs there's a good chance he'll pull though .
Good luck x

Back
Top Bottom