Seriously, is there ever any way to get ahead?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by debilorrah, Jan 31, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We survive on cash only and make payments for our fridge and washer and dryer to a Rent to Own place weekly. I discovered this morning, after payig bills and grocery shopping, there is $49.11 left in our account and we haven't been to the feed store this week.

Anyone wanna donate their cans? [​IMG]

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I know how you feel. We make enough to get by, but whenever something pops up (think car repair) we end up in the red.
    I've been looking for a job for months but its slim pickins around here!!! So frustrating.

Really struggling to make the car payments, but I worry what if something happens and my car gets repo'd (and credit screwed)
    I couldn't just go buy a cheap used car with cash, ends up being a worse money pit than the payments I'm making.

THEN how will I get a job if I can't even get to it? THIS is how people become homeless.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Don't feel sad [​IMG]. I think alot of us know how you feel. It's so frustrating. The DH and I just gave up the beautiful truck for a dinky car this past weekend to save on money ( I cried a little) to pay for a real house here soon.

There things we need to sell to pay off a couple things and then well be debt free : D. I hope it works out for you!

Oh and btw. We went around collected cans ofF the side of the road like prisoners! It was fun. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

It is a vicious circle. The cost of food has skyrocketed lately and my electric bill went from $160 to $450. Price gouging at it's best. Utility companies and grocery stores are going to bankrupt America.

5. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    Yup!!! I am tempted to pick up the spare can when I see one. I'm also considering standing out on the corner with all the day laborers. [​IMG]
    If you see a skinny, long-haired, fair-skinned girl standing with all the hispanic guys at home depot, ITS ME!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. debilorrah

Quote:Howdy neighbor - I live in Hesperia! And your screen name cracks me up. There is also a Picklepants here.

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I just gave DD and her hubby $900 to pay for rent and their late fee. $900 I really dont have. He is busting his butt working and right now, she is in the hospital with leaking amniotic fluid. She is only 31 weeks. Life sux right about now.

8. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    What can you make and sell to bring in a bit of extra?

My advice on the washer and fridge though is to see if you can find something used that you could pay cash for at tax time rather than rent to own. Craistslist is where I always head. I am chronically cheap. Invariable those rent to own things end up costing you a ton more than the item is worth.

9. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    At this point I'm gonna say no.

Last Wednesday the hospital put a lien on our house and today I paid for gas with dimes and nickels, so I feel your pain.
    I've been told the key to happiness is to be happy with what you have instead of pining for what you don't.

But that can be a little difficult to do when you no longer own what you have and all you really want is to be out of debt.

As for earning extra$ - There is a business up here that is growing by leaps and bounds. I don't know if it is needed in your area, Pet sitting services.

People will pay good money to have someone come to their home to take care of their pets instead using a kennel or day care service. A friend of mine gets paid by several people to come to their house once a day to walk their dogs while they are at work. She charges per pet per half hour. If they go on vacation she charges by the week for feeding and care.

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I just got $26 for my cans today. I'm not getting rich but...not getting poorer at least [​IMG] Have you looked in the sprouting threads to see how you could save on feed Deb? It REALLY makes a big difference! Grow them some lettuce in a window. [​IMG] Getting ahead doesn't happen in big chunks, it happens a penny ata time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by