1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seriously? It's 18deg out and you want to be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Nov 22, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]
    My 29 week old white silkie has decided to be broody. She spent all day on the nest, despite my attempts to foil her. Really? It was 18 degrees last night and the low tonight is 20. Daytime highs have been in the high 30s low 40s. Why oh why does she want to raise chicks right now?
    The greater irony is that she was broody on a plastic easter egg. She didn't even lay an egg today to sit on. Little freeloader!
    [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just give in and give her eggs, Anne! Nothing else you can do!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My first broody was only 5 months old and I decided to wait her out - I thought she was much too young to be a mother. It was getting colder and I don't support teenage parenthood. After 3 weeks, I felt sorry for her and gave her some eggs from my big girls and she stuck tight to that nest for another 3 weeks and hatched all her eggs. [​IMG]

In the meantime, I had 3 more pullets go broody [​IMG]

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    HA! Don't support teenage chicken parenthood!
    [​IMG]

I amy slip her a couple to keep her happy. We'll see if she'll stick with it. She's a bit flighty.

How are you? I haven't talked to you in a while!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Sent you the longest PM in the history of PMs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by