Seriously, the most basic of quail questions...

KelleyP83

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
West Hattiesburg, MS
I have been researching chickens for 7 months, building and preparing for my brood, but don't yet have any - first going in the incubators Saturday. According to my mother in law, I have officially built a "chicken wonderland" - I thought I should be prepared before getting any live birdies! - and may have spent way too much time/money preparing for my first chicken.

Since I'm so prepared, I started researching my next interest - which I will invariably overthink and spend half a year planning and/or building for - peafowl.

But this topic (quails) totally jumped out at me because - when my chickens are happily scratching in their playground and I have established an indoor peacock second only to Henri (of BYC fame, I have learned) - I would adore a quail.

Largely because poached quail eggs are the only thing I've ever eaten and thought "seriously, I could never get enough of these." Specifically on toast points with green cavier.

So, could I keep some laying quail? How many would I need to keep me stocked in toast-point goodness (aka eggs)? Are quail hard/expensive/complicated to tend?

Just tossing these out here as vague questions. If you pros say "yep, quails are involved to care for" I'll know they probably aren't for us right this very minute (what with chickens and peafowl on our plates, as it were).

Yes! You can keep laying quail. Male's aren't needed unless you want fertile eggs.
It's only a rumor that males help start up egg laying, females can go solo and will lay all year round, except winter, they only lay in winter if given an artificial light to provide extra hours. But it's best to let them rest with egg laying for that three month period.

5 quail eggs is equivalent to 1 chicken egg if that'll give you an idea on how many to get. I have 6 females laying each day and get a dozen in two days, now I'm being overrun with eggs! So I give away eggs to my friends from time to time.

Are quail hard to keep?
No. As long as you provide enough food, water, dust baths and enough space, you should be all good. They don't need to be watched 24/7 unless one's injured. But for food, laying quail would need a high protein diet of at least 22% or above (up to 28% is best), and they'll need calcium supplements like shell grit or crushed up oyster or egg shell.

Are quail expensive?
Only if you get them from a pet store. I got my quail from a breeder for $20 for two females and a male, whereas the pet store sells separate quail for $20 each. And quail breeders are more likely to take better care of the quail as they know what they're doing. Building the cage also doesn't cost much as they don't need a whole acre of land, just at least 1 square foot per bird.

Are quail complicated to tend?
Unless there's a problem going on with your quail (fights, injuries, sickness, etc.) than you have nothing to really worry about, just as long as they have the main stuff (food, water, etc.).
They're probably one of the easiest pets to maintain.

Hope I gave you a basic idea.
big_smile.png

From experience, I would say you need around 14 quail to equate to one dozen hen eggs per week. You will have more eggs at the start, and less after 9 months or so.
Good luck!

Yes! You can keep laying quail. Male's aren't needed unless you want fertile eggs.
It's only a rumor that males help start up egg laying, females can go solo and will lay all year round, except winter, they only lay in winter if given an artificial light to provide extra hours. But it's best to let them rest with egg laying for that three month period.

5 quail eggs is equivalent to 1 chicken egg if that'll give you an idea on how many to get. I have 6 females laying each day and get a dozen in two days, now I'm being overrun with eggs! So I give away eggs to my friends from time to time.

Are quail hard to keep?
No. As long as you provide enough food, water, dust baths and enough space, you should be all good. They don't need to be watched 24/7 unless one's injured. But for food, laying quail would need a high protein diet of at least 22% or above (up to 28% is best), and they'll need calcium supplements like shell grit or crushed up oyster or egg shell.

Are quail expensive?
Only if you get them from a pet store. I got my quail from a breeder for $20 for two females and a male, whereas the pet store sells separate quail for $20 each. And quail breeders are more likely to take better care of the quail as they know what they're doing. Building the cage also doesn't cost much as they don't need a whole acre of land, just at least 1 square foot per bird.

Are quail complicated to tend?
Unless there's a problem going on with your quail (fights, injuries, sickness, etc.) than you have nothing to really worry about, just as long as they have the main stuff (food, water, etc.).
They're probably one of the easiest pets to maintain.

Hope I gave you a basic idea.
big_smile.png
20 dollars for a trio OMG that's a lot of money, here at my local feed store are $ 3.50 e/o

Coturnix quail are about as easy as it's possible for livestock to be. And you're right--the eggs are to die for. We love them boiled. Omg. So delicious.

All you need is adequate room, proper feed, shelter, and water. Basic.

You'll see a lot of folks raise them on wire. I prefer to raise mine on the ground--they're happier, less stressed, and highly productive that way.

If you do run into problems, it's usually an easy fix if you know where to ask for help (here, of course!!).

Good luck. I adore quail and highly recommend them.

I live in Australia. Everything's more pricey here than in America.
hmm.png

Like, a 125ml bottle of poultry wormer is like $20, whereas online on an American website it was like $5 for 8 oz. (no idea how much that is, we use the metric system but all I know is that it's bigger in volume). But in overall, raising quail costs less than around $100 a year (mainly for food and other required needs. vet or cage stuff would be different) compared to around $14k a year for dogs (according to a website).

I live in Australia. Everything's more pricey here than in America.
hmm.png

goodpost.gif
And far too true. And it's rediculously hard to find coccidiosis medicine and preventative.
And Special breeds of chooks.
And coops that aren't an expensive pile of useless wood.
And we have so few to no hatcheries, pure-breeds, that aren't small businesses.
And what we do have is spiders, snakes, sharks and a bucket load of poisonous snakes (in case you missed the Pythons.)

...But I love it here, and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
big_smile.png
I just wish everything else would come to me.

And for kelly: I suggest you visit other peoples quails, just to get a feel for the breed. Just be sure to wash thoroughly before and after so you don't bring disease in or out.

Back
Top Bottom