Seriusly injured TONGUE

Poultergeist

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Last night when I checked my chicks (5 weeks old) one of my light brahmas had pecked a blue tarp which lines my brooder underneath the Pine chip bedding. A long strand of plastic thread
had wrapped around her tongue and sinched it down extremely tight anchoring her to the tarp. I have no idea how long she was attached this way, but she was extremely exhausted and dehydrated. It took me 30 minutes to remove the thread in what was a surgery. But I did it. Her tongue , however, is seriously injured. It looks like no blood flow went down it and the tissue is probably dead. The injury begins about one centimeter from the tip of the tongue. I know it's hard to give advice about this type of thing but does anyone have any advice on what to do besides going to a vet?

I don't even think a Vet can do anything for something that small. If it's dead, it will fall off. I really don't know what to suggest. Maybe give her some electrolytes, or the baby Poly-sol vitamins, for a boost to her system. Time is what she probably needs. Sorry.

We had a newborn baby hamster a few years ago who got a piece of fiber bedding wrapped around her front paw, and when we found it, her little "hand" was all puffed up and kind of purple. My best friend and I spent an hour getting the fibers off her little arm, and we were sure she would lose the paw if she made it through. With some TLC, she survived, and her paw, though a little smaller than the other 3, was just fine. Not sure a vet could do much, maybe just TLC and prayers.. hope all turns out well!!

fl.gif

* The biggest problem you'll likely have is keeping her hydrated and fed. FREQUENT handfeeding and eyedropper watering . . . . And she's NOT going to like it b/c of the pain. Keep the water you give at least as warm as your hand and her foods soft and warm, too. I'd boost her protein a little with a half tsp. of mashed cottage cheese, meat baby food or a little GROUND dry cat food for about a week or so. She may need a little oral antibiotic as well.

Last edited:
I was so hoping to find a similiar post. I had a similar incident today. One of my Buff Chochins got a hold to a piece of string and the string was twisted around her tongue. I tried my best to carefully cut as much of the string out without damaging her tongue. The first hour was scary. She seemed to be gasping for air and losing consciousness. I kept her in my lap and did everything that I could, which was really only comfort and support her. She just sat there going in and out of a sleep. It was apparent that it was hard for her to breath. She would awaken and eat and drink but still gasped for breath periodically. She would regurgitate her water. Clear mucus would come up. I opened her mouth but could not see her tongue at all. Where is it?????????? She seems to be doing just fine but I'm scared. I will keep an eye on her overnight and hope that everything is ok. I guess they are just like kids. You have to keep everything out of their way. I hope she makes it thru the night.

If you can't see your chicks tongue, this may be an emergency!!! Please look closer NOW. There may have been a second piece of string wrapped around her tongue that you missed, and I have heard of cases like that where the string went into the gizzard and pulled the chicks tongue down it's throat (usually found during an autopsy).

Same thing happened to one of our chicks last year. I thought she'd die for sure. The tongue was black and dried when we found her. Had to use a magnifying glass to find all the bits of fabric - she had been pecking at the side of one of those netting playpens.

She had a hard time handling it the next day. It looked a bit gooky later that evening. BUT surprised us all when it eventually pinked back up within a day or two and today, you'd never know.

Just when I thought I had heard it all, along comes something else to be on the watch for!! AHHH!! I sure hope both your babies turn out okay. Keep us posted.

I see it !!! I see it !!! I checked on her this morning and she was walking around in the coop and everthing appeard to be ok. I picked her up, opened her mouth and there it was. I can see her tongue now. Although, it appears that both sides of her tongue are slightly cut (from the string of course). I do not see any signs of the string but I know that I didn't cut all of the string off. The damage does not look bad at all. I wonder what happened to the rest of the string. Any guesses? As long as it's not wrapped around her tongue, then that's a good thing. I will still keep an eye on her to make sure that she is ok. Thanks everyone for thinking about her and hoping that she would be ok.

Back
Top Bottom