Sermas vs OEGB

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by animals1981, Mar 4, 2009.

1. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    What are louder usually between these 2 breeds? which ones more friendly?

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    OEs are very loud. They're very vocal and love to talk. They're very friendly but males can be a handful. I always say "they're aggressive but respectful." Not sure about Seramas... but I know most American strains are very highstrung.

3. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    yeah i noticed my OEGB are like trumpets! lol i wonder if sermas are anywhere close ?

4. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Yeah, but that's what makes em so fun... they talk back. [​IMG] Not sure, I've never owned Seramas.

5. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I have had both. Although I loved my OEGBs I would have to say my seramas are much quieter and friendlier.

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have both, and both are equally loud. If anything, my little Serama roo is much more shrill than my OEBG boys.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    The shrillness really gets me, and my neighbor. [​IMG] I think the seramas can be variable, but the OEGB are pretty much the same ( all loud and shrill)

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I've not ever owned OEGB's, but I do have Seramas. From what I've heard of my Serama Roo, he is not as high pitched as some of the OEG's that I've heard at shows. However the tone of each rooster is subject to his genetic make up.

My Seramas were rather flighty, and WIRED until they were a few months old. However with regular handling, they have calmed down QUITE a bit, and are actually quite pleasant to handle now.

The other thing I like about Seramas is that you dont have to dub them to show them. I dont know that I could own OEGB's because they are supposed to be dubbed. Of course you dont have to do that if you're not showing, but you know me... I'm a showing fanatic.

9. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    You don't have to dub a Serama for showing. That right there makes me like them more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by