Set 3/9/12 HATCH ALONG!

My story: I have a Brinsea Octo 20 that I got for Christmas, ordered eggs from MPC in January and they finally arrived Friday. Into the bator they went and are so cute and tiny, they are all bantams and I didn't realise just how small bantam eggs really are - much smaller than what my hens lay. I've ready lots of threads on this site while waiting for the eggs and there are really so many different opinions on what settings to use for humidity so I randomly chose 35-40%. This is my first hatch ever and I am so excited. Hope we all get good hatches.

My story: I have a Brinsea Octo 20 that I got for Christmas, ordered eggs from MPC in January and they finally arrived Friday. Into the bator they went and are so cute and tiny, they are all bantams and I didn't realise just how small bantam eggs really are - much smaller than what my hens lay. I've ready lots of threads on this site while waiting for the eggs and there are really so many different opinions on what settings to use for humidity so I randomly chose 35-40%. This is my first hatch ever and I am so excited. Hope we all get good hatches.

sounds good to me. mine stays at 40 no matter what I do..dunno what I am gonna do to raise it for lockdown. They are much smaller, I bantam and reg sized eggs in mine.

I have read a ton of stuff on the internet and I'm really confused, because everyone has there own oppinion. But from what people say on BYC they keep the humidity between 30-40%, so that's what I'm trying to do! I guess only time will tell!

I read that some people use a wet spondge to raise the humidity and that's what i'm going to try.

I set mine on the 5th. This is my second attempt at hatching eggs. I had some humidity and then temp issues on my first hatch and it was a flop. I had 30 eggs in. I was given a LG with and egg turner. Friends of my mom's divorced and sold their flock so I got the incubator! I'm determined to figure it out!. I have 32 eggs in. The majority of eggs are Millie D'uccles. I also have some Millie/sebright hens, millie/EE hens (all bantams). My roo is an EE. I also have some standard eggs, they are standard EE's crossed with a RIR. Im keeping my humidity at 30-40%. I also have a bunch of thermometers and none of them agree really lol. So I'm just keeping the two I think are the most accurate at 100ish.

Good Luck!

I have 20 eggs on my LG. Im new at this it's my first time so its exciting. They are due March 19. My humidity goes from 30 to 45. The thermometer that came with the LG isnt accurate so i bought a hydrothermometer for $10 at Walmart. Works really well. Yesterday i did a candling and the babies were swimming. I'm so excited. There were a couple that looked like they had gunk floating in them. But since none of them smell and i dont want to crack it open to find out. Whats inside. I'll keep them in there. For me the green and dark brown eggs are impossible to candle. So much fun!
celebrate.gif

The digital Thermometer/hydrometer I bought can't even agree with itself. It is an indoor & outdoor one (it has a probe) and it never agrees. I bought one of the "old school" long ones (that you have to shake down) from my vet. I figure if it is good enough for them it should be good enough for my incubator! It is usually only one degree off my LG thermometer. My digital new one is way off both of them so IDK. If it does not work this time I will try going strictly the other way and only follow my digital. I hate thermometers.

I set 30 eggs on Friday in my homemade incubator, which is at my sister's house.
So far, so good. She tells me that everything is good so far! :)
The nieces will be excited to see the chicks hatch! :)

The digital Thermometer/hydrometer I bought can't even agree with itself. It is an indoor & outdoor one (it has a probe) and it never agrees. I bought one of the "old school" long ones (that you have to shake down) from my vet. I figure if it is good enough for them it should be good enough for my incubator! It is usually only one degree off my LG thermometer. My digital new one is way off both of them so IDK. If it does not work this time I will try going strictly the other way and only follow my digital. I hate thermometers.

Ya some thermometers are a pain. I just go off the digital one.

I have a the thermostat that came with the incubator. I also have a non digital Hygrometer, which also has a meter for temps and I have a digital thermostat all in the incubator
idunno.gif
lau.gif
Maybe 1 of the 3 will be right, and they all stay with in a degree or so of each other, I'll be all right. It's actually my digital that's giving me the most stress.

Kudos on your first hatching.
I started my first hatch too (but on 03-02-2012!)
I'm on day 9.... Only 9 more days to go! Sooo excited.
I found it hard to not look in the incubator every few hours. lol.

Back
Top Bottom