Set 3/9/12 HATCH ALONG!

Hello everyone! I'm so excited to jump in on this thread and follow along! Let me catch you up on my story...I have 11 hens/1roo and I've been very busy at work lately and let a hen brood a bunch of eggs. I have no clue when she started laying on them, though. I went online to teach myself how to candle them and found 8 of them to be fully black (or close to it) with the little air bubble at the large end (very cool!!) I did that a few days ago and I went and candled them again today in a dark closet with my 3 yr. old and 1 yr. old girls. We heard some squeaking and I thought a mouse was in the closet with us. Then I realized that it was a peep inside the egg I was holding!!! Now I'm really excited, but worried about my total beginner-ness. I'm worried about two things: 1- that I handled them so much so late in incubation. How important is it that they don't move during the last 3 days? Did I create a problem? 2- Should I leave them with the hen when/if they hatch? I'd like to take them once they hatch and brood them indoors like I do other chicks to protect from predators (my chickens free range but have an indoor coop.) What would you say is the problem with this? Lastly, how close is it to hatching if I heard the little chick in there? I could hear her pecking at the egg already, but no pips in the egg yet. Thanks for any advice!! :)

They should be hatching today if they have already pipped the shell. I wouldn;t do anything with them. The hen knows exactly what to do. Leave them with her at least until they hatch.
I wish I had a broody hen. No heat lamps, changing their bedding, no introducing them to the rest of chickens etc. She will also protect them if you leave them with her. All you would need to do is give them water and chick feed. If you decide to take them from her, I would wait at least a day for everyone to hatch out. Just my opinion...:) Good luck!

No pips, peeps, wiggles or chicks in my bator, anyone else set 3/9 with still no activity? I'm excited for everyone who has results but also getting very concerned about my hatch. The wait is horrid, I had no idea. I've worn out batteries in one flashlight already just looking for pips.

My flashlight is on the 3 set of batteries
lau.gif

Thank you! We woke up this morning and have an adorable little chick in there! I picked it up to take a picture (mistake???) and when I gave her back, the hen kept pecking at her....like a lot. I just left them and am going to check back in a little bit. Should I not have touched the chick??

Thank you! We woke up this morning and have an adorable little chick in there! I picked it up to take a picture (mistake???) and when I gave her back, the hen kept pecking at her....like a lot. I just left them and am going to check back in a little bit. Should I not have touched the chick??

I've picked them up before and they were fine. I would put them back under her wing from behind her. If you just set it in front of he she might be trying to get it to go under her.
If shes up walking around with the other chicks not sure why shes pecking at it.
idunno.gif

I fill little cups with water and food for my broodies in the nest box everyday when they brood eggs so they are okay with my hand being in there.

Finally! I got up at 4am to let the dog in, checked the incubator and nothing. Got a call at 7am to come in to work and I thought, "I might as well - there's nothing happening with the eggs anyway", so I said I'd come in. Peeked in the incubator and I have TWO pips! Argh! (I'd have come in to work anyway, but now I'm really anxious to get home. I hope the day goes by quickly) One was toward the top of the egg where it should be, and one in the middle. I have to pick up some groceries on the way home - I hope I can concentrate enough to remember what I need. I'd better write it down....

Hazelrah - hang in there! Mine didn't peep or wiggle that I noticed. And believe me - I was checking.

Finally! I got up at 4am to let the dog in, checked the incubator and nothing. Got a call at 7am to come in to work and I thought, "I might as well - there's nothing happening with the eggs anyway", so I said I'd come in. Peeked in the incubator and I have TWO pips! Argh! (I'd have come in to work anyway, but now I'm really anxious to get home. I hope the day goes by quickly) One was toward the top of the egg where it should be, and one in the middle. I have to pick up some groceries on the way home - I hope I can concentrate enough to remember what I need. I'd better write it down....

Hazelrah - hang in there! Mine didn't peep or wiggle that I noticed. And believe me - I was checking.
Yay!
yesss.gif
to the pips!

Sometimes its easier to not watch. I have all my bantams hatched and none my olive eggs that were shipped have hatched yet. I do have a couple with pips though and know today is going to go so slow because every 5 mins I keep going to look and it looks the same.

Hang in there everyone today's the day!
fl.gif

i set some shipped eggs on the 9th, just been having a blast watching them hatch all night long and now im eggs-hausted and on my way to work and the ones that are left are pipping just this morning and afternoon..i am pooped but happy..i think we accidently set to the moon hatch dates too..

I have 1 that has hatched and 1 more with a big peep hole (which I'm worried about because it peeped last night around 9ish and it's still not out of the shell) and another with a small peep, that has stayed the same since the morning! I still have 17 eggs that haven't done anything
idunno.gif

I hope everyone eggs are doing well, I have so happy for you all you with successful hatches
thumbsup.gif
The wait for my eggs to hatch is an absolute killer!

Back
Top Bottom