Set 3/9/12 HATCH ALONG!

When you say it's drying up, do you mean it's absorbing or do you mean it's just getting dry? They sure are sweet, though... I should probably move mine to a brooder. Except it's really just a cage with a heat lamp on top of it. They're quite fluffy now and wreaking havoc. My fifth baby, the silver-laced cochin, hatched just a little while ago.

They are so cute, how long did you leave them in the incubator?

The last 2 hatched around 6 this morning. We had a field trip today, so I left them in the bator until after we got home later in the afternoon...so about 9 hours. (The first one to hatch was in there 16 hours.) I did lower the incubator temperature by about 3 degrees to 96 and removed all the vent covers to release humidity. When we got home, they were nearly dry and could all walk around without falling so I thought the brooder would be warmer and cleaner.
smile.png

hide.gif
My last hatch, I moved the chicks to the brooder too soon. One had just hatched and wasn't holding it's head up or walking good yet....Well, I ended up having to put little band-aid braces on 3 of their legs for spraddle leg. They all recovered and gained their strength in their legs fortunately, but I learned not to be in such a hurry.

Well, I didn't "kill them all" (as DH kept saying) after I yanked the shell out. Of my 3 others early pippers, one has shown slight but obvious progress, and 3 more eggs have teeny tiny little pips in them. It's midnight, and I'm hearing tapping coming from the incubator. Not sure if it's someone trying to break out or my early bird roaming about in there. I'll have to go stare at it again soon. DH was teasing me about noseprints on the incubator earlier tonight.

It is 3:30 am here in Nebraska. Still nothing....I went and purchased a new "easier to read thermonter and humidity gauge this afternoon. The strange thing is the new temp guage reads approx 4 degrees higher than the little cheapy ones that come with the incubator
th.gif
. if this is accurate than I am sure I ran them too hot. Although I candled periodically and they all had movement etc... Geez, I have never had this happen...and I really hope that I am wrong....I did candle a few a little while ago and they all had airsacks that were perfect size, the rest of the egg was dark with no movement although I think that this is typical. This was two seperate hatches of little cochin bantum frizzles! ugghhh! and what is worse is that I have 16 frizzled naked neck easter eggers from Dipsey Doodle Doo here on the forum, in my other incubator...if this is the case I am sure that those little guys met the same fate??????
hit.gif
I am too upset to candle those ones now.... I waited weeks for those eggs!!!!
he.gif
I REALLY REALLY hope that I am wrong......
fl.gif

I am so excited for all of you on your cute little newibies! I especially love the De'Uncles!
thumbsup.gif

I am glad that it is still early in the season so if my little ones didn'lt make it, I will start again....I WILL have those frizzled naked neck green eggers!
rant.gif
IT'S ONLY TWENTY-ONE "GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP, STRESS FREE " DAYS" right??????????
hmm.png
I can take it.....Not sure my husband can .....
roll.png

It is 3:30 am here in Nebraska. Still nothing....I went and purchased a new "easier to read thermonter and humidity gauge this afternoon. The strange thing is the new temp guage reads approx 4 degrees higher than the little cheapy ones that come with the incubator
th.gif
. if this is accurate than I am sure I ran them too hot. Although I candled periodically and they all had movement etc... Geez, I have never had this happen...and I really hope that I am wrong....I did candle a few a little while ago and they all had airsacks that were perfect size, the rest of the egg was dark with no movement although I think that this is typical. This was two seperate hatches of little cochin bantum frizzles! ugghhh! and what is worse is that I have 16 frizzled naked neck easter eggers from Dipsey Doodle Doo here on the forum, in my other incubator...if this is the case I am sure that those little guys met the same fate??????
hit.gif
I am too upset to candle those ones now.... I waited weeks for those eggs!!!!
he.gif
I REALLY REALLY hope that I am wrong......
fl.gif

I am so excited for all of you on your cute little newibies! I especially love the De'Uncles!
thumbsup.gif

I am glad that it is still early in the season so if my little ones didn'lt make it, I will start again....I WILL have those frizzled naked neck green eggers!
rant.gif
IT'S ONLY TWENTY-ONE "GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP, STRESS FREE " DAYS" right??????????
hmm.png
I can take it.....Not sure my husband can .....
roll.png

Give it a few more days. If it was truly 4 degrees to hot, I would think they wouldn't have developed at all, or died earlier. Who's to say the one you bought is right? Hang in there and keep us posted.

I have a total of 5 hatched, and one more egg with a pip. Still have 14 eggs that haven't done anything
fl.gif
I'm hoping everything is okay. How long should I wait until I start to worry? Should I candle?

When you say it's drying up, do you mean it's absorbing or do you mean it's just getting dry? They sure are sweet, though... I should probably move mine to a brooder. Except it's really just a cage with a heat lamp on top of it. They're quite fluffy now and wreaking havoc. My fifth baby, the silver-laced cochin, hatched just a little while ago.

Actually both, it has gotten tons smaller and it's drying. It looks alot better...Maybe I'll try and get a pic.

My newest update: 5 total hatched. 3 more with pips and I still see other eggs wiggle. One of my pips is a green egg, which should be an EE
clap.gif

I have a total of 5 hatched, and one more egg with a pip. Still have 14 eggs that haven't done anything
fl.gif
I'm hoping everything is okay. How long should I wait until I start to worry? Should I candle?

NO, don't candle at this point, especially with one pip. You cannot change anything by candling. Try to NEVER open the bator during lockdown, but especially with external pips. If the early chicks are dry INCLUDING the one that's just a pip now, you could put them in the warmed brooder. But make sure NONE of the other eggs even have a tiny pip before opening the bator. 9That's just my humble opinion, but I've read lots of horror stories about the humidity going down shrinkwrapping the other chicks, etc.)
I would wait a couple more days. I had a hatch with chicks on Day 21 and more on Day 22..........so I waited until Day 24 before giving up on the others.
hide.gif
They didn't hatch, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't because of something I did.

Back
Top Bottom