Set 40 quail eggs today! *now with photos* *and a pesky question*

saddina

Internally Deranged
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Desert, CA
Ok they're in!

Gloria (Ugly Ducky) sent Evan a box of 40 eggs to try hatching (you can not believe how big his smile was!) We just made some last adjustments to the bator he and daddy had made, and then hubby decided that we'd need a bigger one, so I now have a cabinet bator
big_smile.png
. Boyd was a good sport at helping with some finer install explination, and it's doing well. Gonna hop in there in a minute and snap a photo. Soon as I can get the kids to stop staring at it!
lol.png
I did tell them it takes 3 weeks.

Here:

30078_hubbybator_2.jpg

30078_hubbybator.jpg

****pesky question*** I see 98, 99, 100, 101 all listed as various temps, now is that inside the water wiggler or the air temp, I'm getting a few degrees differance in the 2 readings, so which do I use?
hmm.png

Last edited:
wee.gif

Saddina just told me the news...... an offhand remark to her hubby, and he built her a cabinet 'bator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There, now it's public, you need to post pics, even if kids are in it!!!!!

Well.... he decided that he may as well build a big one so he doesn't have me wanting an "upgrade" later.
lol.png
I know I was thinking we'd mke the fish tank one work with loads of fussing... but well... guess you know why this hubby got to stay eh?
big_smile.png

did you guys leave room for a couple of automatic turners? You can find them really cheap on ebay,
smile.png

It was a pre-existing wine cabinet, but since we brew in grolich style bottle the door wouldn't close, holds a case of wine and 12 goblets.... uhhh let me remeasure.

14 x 13 x 24 is the interior. kids watching pokemon, brb with pics.

Saddi, what do you guys have setup for ventilation? Do you get that when you roll the eggs around for the turn?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, like a dork I took the photo with the light on...
roll.png

It was a cheap prefab kit when we bought it, and the top has always been warped so there's cracks. There's 2 computer fans hot wired to a spare power suppily to create a cross current of air for circulation. You can see one behind the light, other is on a wall, angled down.

The shelves are angled for wine bottles, so we'll pull the shelf out, and rotate 180 to roll the eggs gently. Gonna do breakfast, lunch and dinner turning each day.

Yeah Boyd was a sweetie and talked me thru some of it, and then when it was clear I didn't understand a thing, he re-explained it to Mr. Saddi.
big_smile.png

im not sure how coherent I was though Saddi, you caught me during "happy" hour....
smile.png
Glad it works out though!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom