1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Set eggs February 12th! Hatch a long with me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Feb 14, 2012.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] Veins!...I just love hatching [​IMG]How far are those?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Well, I want to get the mini advance,which is tiny! Only holds 7-10 eggs.

ETA Where have all the other people gone to that posted in this thread??

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011

That picture was taken when the egg was at day 7. [​IMG]

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I thought it must be. Mine seem to have a dark side ...I always worry if I forget to turn a couple of times.This first hatch is in a bator without a turner, so it's all me. I have started 2 others in my newly purchased bators with egg turners....seems sooo much easier! Whew!!
    I have this hatch due on the 6 th...a silkie on 5 eggs due the 13th and 2 bators due the 14th....[​IMG] Chick days are here! [​IMG]

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    LOL...I don't know....they left...all except the three of us...
    Can you handle only hatching 7-10 eggs!!??
    I have 87 eggs working on it right now...of course some are for meat....

6. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Well, the last time incubating I went into lockdown with 10 eggs, 8 pipped and now have 6. So, this time who knows. I'm pretty much incubating 7-10 eggs anyways lol. What do you do with all the chicks that hatch? Keep them?

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I keep a paper right near my incubator and write down the date, time, day of incubation, humidity, tempature and what I did to the incubator (ie: Turn eggs, Add water etc.) It really helps for those times when I cannot remember if I turned the eggs or not. [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm still here! There just isn't much to tell at this point. I don't candle all the time, just mainly the first time to remove infertiles/non-developing eggs, then later just before Day 18, which I don't call "lockdown", but IBW (Intense Bator Watch). Well, I did call it that until someone said it sounded like an intestinal ailment, LOL! [​IMG]

I lost my handicapped BR rooster, Zane, the love of my life, today, to a sudden heart attack. It's a super sad day for us, so I almost forgot to check the incubator, but life is for the living, as they say, so I did finally check and all seems well in there.

sunny, I love that puppy in your avatar! I'm partial to that color.

9. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] My DH would have something to say about that!! No, I don't keep them.Some will be sold, some will be replacements for my laying flock, some will be for meat.

10. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I just started doing that this time...especially with 3 going and a broody...and some chicks already in the brooder from impulsive buying...darn that CL!! But those new BR's I have out there sure are cute [​IMG] and I need 3 BR pullets to replace my 3 year old hens next spring....I have to rotate some so I can keep my addiction going.There are a total of 16 I will NOT sell or butcher. They are pets and are here for life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by