Set eggs under broody on 5/18!!! Anyone else?

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
This past Friday (5/18) I set 15 silkie eggs under my broody GLW. I am sure hoping we have a good hatch. She will be setting for a total of 5-6 weeks long if she sets the entire time. We will see how this alll turns out.

Anyone else set eggs either under a brooy or incubator the same time?
yippiechickie.gif

Me and the Hubby set ours on 5/20. So we are just two days behind you. This is our second time hatching and we are hoping for a good turnout. This time the hubby added a fan to help circulation.

We are hatching 18 total. Some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Copper Marans, B/B/S Marans, EE's, BR's and B/B/S Cochins.

Our last hatch we let our Broody Cochin hatch out 4 of the 26 eggs we had. She was 4 for 4 and did all the work. It was great. We should have givien her more but were unsure she would sit the whole time. She did and is a great mom. We kept only 5 from our last hatch and at least two are Roo's and we think 1 more. So the new batch will be able to give us a few more pullets, we hope. Plus a large variety of birds in our flock.

Good luck! I'm glad everything is going well. We had some temp issues the first few days but now I think it's under control. Have you tried to candle any yet?

Last edited:
I did, but on the 13th! I gave our broody BO 5 SLW eggs... so far so good, and all of them moving their little legs around on day 12!
smile.png
I should have given her more-- but she's a first-timer (as am I) and she's only 7 months old, so I didn't know how she'd do. I had nothing to worry about-- she's as committed as they come, and tries to kill me when I kick her off the nest once a day LOL.

I'm planning on adding 4 day-old Delawares to her brood as soon as they hatch.

I haven't tried to candle them yet. That just makes me nervous, they are such tiny eggs anyways, I don't want to hurt them or break them.

My GLW is about 8 months now and this is her first time going broody. She is one of those dedicated as they come setters. She starts sounding like a fluffed up dino when I move her off of the nest.

macmama~ I think 15 of these silkie eggs probably equal 5 SLW eggs.
lol.png
If all of ours hatch then we might take in half and raise them ourselves so they are more social with us. But then I hope we don't choose the roos to do this with.

I have 6 eggs under my white silkie hen. This is her and my first hatch. She started sitting on her own, so I'm not sure of the start date, but based on my estimated, I think its 5/12 - 5/14. I candled all last night, and they all looked viable and far along. I'm hoping for a June 2nd or 3rd hatch!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

It is so exciting isn't it! This is my GLW and my first time also we are keeping our fingers crossed for a good hatch.

So are Silkies mostly just for pets? Their eggs are too tiny to eat, right? I have too many chickens as it is in my HOA backyard... but I'm so tempted by their adorable faces! Any chance you live near Gilbert and plan to sell a couple?....Please tell me no.
tongue.png

So how did the hatch go for everyone? Ours hatched yesterday. We had 18 to start but 8 never developed enough. So that left us with 10 at lockdown. 9 of the 10 hatched yesterday with one more to go. No signs of it hatching but 9 is not bad at all.
smile.png
So the total is 1 BLRW, 1 Splash Cochin, 1 Black Copper Maran, 2 Black Marans, 1 Blue Maran, 1 Splash Maran and 2 Barred Rocks.

34879_102_5785.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom