Set it... And forget it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Hi! Yes I did. Set them and forgot them.
    Set 5 dozen eggs on the 31st and plumtotallycompletely forgot them. Looked at the calender this morning and saw it was time to candle and realized they'd been in a week without being turned at all [​IMG]
    Don't know how it will effect their 'hatchability', but most of them look good (the duds were the usual suspects --- old eggs).

[​IMG]
    Lisa

2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Hmm...
    Good luck!

Ive gone a fair amount of days without turning and everything was fine [​IMG]

They are so early off it shouldnt matter toooo much...
    Right?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hatching by Ronco?

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I think I remember reading somehwere that eggs that weren't turned in the first week had the same hatch rate as eggs that had been....there was a thread on that somewhere...[​IMG]

6. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    SUMMARY
    1. Turning hens' eggs between the 4th and 7th day of incubation gives a
    hatchability similar to that of eggs turned throughout incubation.
    2. Turning the eggs between the 8th and 11th day gives a hatchability similar
    to that of unturned eggs.

7. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Did the exact same thing to some eggs a couple weeks ago, except it wasn't entirely my fault - the turner packed in and I didn't realise. Had a great hatch - so don't worry about it. [​IMG]

8. Hi! Thanks for the reassurance! I had a turner once that was prone to hang up and when I'd candle I'd find black 'stuck blobs' --- but I don't remember *when* it quit turning (it only hung up twice) and was anticipating seeing that again.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't find any 'stuck' embryos.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

9. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    what does a "stuck embryo" look like?! I have shipped eggs and I didnt turn them the first 3 days so the air sacs re attached but some people said that not turner the first three days might kill them. I candled them but I dont know what a stuck embryo looks like..... Mine are in lockdown on day 19 now. I hope they hatch fine! What happens if an embryo was stuck? Does it not hatch right? I hope mine hatch alright!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by