Set it... And forget it.

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! Yes I did. Set them and forgot them.
Set 5 dozen eggs on the 31st and plumtotallycompletely forgot them. Looked at the calender this morning and saw it was time to candle and realized they'd been in a week without being turned at all
sad.png

Don't know how it will effect their 'hatchability', but most of them look good (the duds were the usual suspects --- old eggs).

smile.png

Lisa

Hmm...
Good luck!

Ive gone a fair amount of days without turning and everything was fine
hide.gif

They are so early off it shouldnt matter toooo much...
Right?

I think I remember reading somehwere that eggs that weren't turned in the first week had the same hatch rate as eggs that had been....there was a thread on that somewhere...
roll.png

SUMMARY
1. Turning hens' eggs between the 4th and 7th day of incubation gives a
hatchability similar to that of eggs turned throughout incubation.
2. Turning the eggs between the 8th and 11th day gives a hatchability similar
to that of unturned eggs.

Did the exact same thing to some eggs a couple weeks ago, except it wasn't entirely my fault - the turner packed in and I didn't realise. Had a great hatch - so don't worry about it.
smile.png

Hi! Thanks for the reassurance! I had a turner once that was prone to hang up and when I'd candle I'd find black 'stuck blobs' --- but I don't remember *when* it quit turning (it only hung up twice) and was anticipating seeing that again.
I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't find any 'stuck' embryos.

smile.png

Lisa

what does a "stuck embryo" look like?! I have shipped eggs and I didnt turn them the first 3 days so the air sacs re attached but some people said that not turner the first three days might kill them. I candled them but I dont know what a stuck embryo looks like..... Mine are in lockdown on day 19 now. I hope they hatch fine! What happens if an embryo was stuck? Does it not hatch right? I hope mine hatch alright!

Back
Top Bottom