Set my first eggs today

Airplaneguy57

Songster
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Rio Medina Texas
Its on. I placed my first eggs in my homemade bator. The temp is stable at 99.5 with the humidity at 55%. Since I don't have an automatic turner I will be doing it by myself. Lock down will be on day 15. How will I check the temp and humidity when they are on lockdown?

are you going quail or chicken?

If it's chickens... lockdown is day 18.

Good luck!

(I'm a couple days ahead of you, hatching on Feb. 15th.-- 7 eggs under a broody.)

Hey, I threw my first eggs of the season into the incubator today too! 'Course my eggs are turkey eggs so I'm in it for 28 days but I cracked a few and found they were fertile so I figured I might as well get the 'bator fired up and start in on the season.

Congrats! What did you build your bator out of? I'm running my home made one too - should hatch Feb 3/4.
big_smile.png

Our favorite rich uncle Sam got rid of some mini fridges. So took one of the nicer ones removed the compressor, modified the ice Trey area where I mounted the 100 watt bulb thermostat and computer fan. In the very bottom I have a pan with a sponge. I must add I learned everything on this site. After I get this hatch done I'm going to try some midget white turkeys.

Good Luck with your eggventure. I'm very new at this so I have to ask what do you mean when you say lockdown? My husband and I are getting ready to try and incubate our first batch .

My first eggs of the year went in at 3 today. I wld go nuts if I couldn't view my temp and humidity through a window! Happy hatching. I love my buff orps! This batch is EE olive eggs and silkies.

Lockdown for chickens are day 18. That is when the turning stops temps and humidity must be kept steady. Day 21 is the hatch day if all goes well. I have a hasp so I can lock door to keep the courious out. There is one thing I didn't consider. I have one rooster for 17 birds. I wonder if he took care of all the ladies so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom