Set up for broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken Hound, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Chicken Hound

Chicken Hound Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2014
    McDowell County NC
    Still a bit new to this but I am hooked. I am expanding my chicken coop and pen to keep more chickens, and would like to get a broody hen to replenish as I would rather not deal with an incubator/brooder.

I was wondering if I need a completely separate enclosure / coop and pen for her to hatch and raise the chicks? Or could she just have her own small coop in the same pen? The pen is about 35x15 and they are given free range time in open field.

I figure the raising coop should be rather close to the ground easy for them to get in and out. Is there anything else I should take into consideration?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could put her enclosure in the same pen, or even in the same coop. Lots of people don't separate them at all. Some of mine I leave in the nest box, others I move because they get bullied around. The more your other birds still get to see the broody, and her resulting chicks, the easier it will be to reintroduced everyone when they're ready to join the flock again.

And, I just have to say, I have broodies and an incubator. I love my incubator, its a lot of fun hatching and raising the chicks I make in there.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by