Setimes i wish i was crueler...

i would get a paint ball gun or a bb gun and shoot the tail or the hind quarters with those guns it will cause minimul damage and scare it. it worked for me so hope u figure somthing out

Quote:
Never kill a wild predator, by shooting it in the head. They may have rabies, which would be in the brain. Shoot in lungs or heart area.

Quote:
Never kill a wild predator, by shooting it in the head. They may have rabies, which would be in the brain. Shoot in lungs or heart area.

Actually deerman, any bodily fluid of a rabid animal will contain the rabies virus. The fact that the damage leading to the behavior seen in rabid animals is to the animals brain doesn't negate the fact that the virus exists in any bodily fluid of the infected animal. Even a small amount of saliva or blood coming in proper contact with your body can cause you to become infected.

How is this fox getting to your birds? I would think that securing them would fix this problem and the fox could go on living it's normal life and you could go on raising safe and secure birds. What is the way that it is getting to them?

Quote:

Actually deerman, any bodily fluid of a rabid animal will contain the rabies virus. The fact that the damage leading to the behavior seen in rabid animals is to the animals brain doesn't negate the fact that the virus exists in any bodily fluid of the infected animal. Even a small amount of saliva or blood coming in proper contact with your body can cause you to become infected.

True, but if the animal needs to be tested they won't be able to do it unless the brain is intact since that is the organ used to test for rabies. Good point to be very cautious anytime your dealing with a wild animal though, regardless of whether it's dead or alive.

Over here in the UK we don`t have game wardens apart from on private estates and they can only legally do certain things to protect livestock, within the estate grounds, which isn`t very much now

I am from the UK... England.
tongue.png

i would get a paint ball gun or a bb gun and shoot the tail or the hind quarters with those guns it will cause minimul damage and scare it. it worked for me so hope u figure somthing out

I suggested that to my dad, just the make it associate my place with pain... but aparently it has top die
hmm.png

How is this fox getting to your birds? I would think that securing them would fix this problem and the fox could go on living it's normal life and you could go on raising safe and secure birds. What is the way that it is getting to them?

They are safe in their pen, i was free ranging them in daylight. Was unexpected.

I'll ask bout the animal people... whatever they're called
hmm.png

Thanks people :')​

Quote:

True, but if the animal needs to be tested they won't be able to do it unless the brain is intact since that is the organ used to test for rabies. Good point to be very cautious anytime your dealing with a wild animal though, regardless of whether it's dead or alive.

I believe they only need a sample of brain tissue but haven't checked on the amount.

The dFA test is based on the principle that infected animals have rabies virus antigen (a protein) in brain tissue that reacts to antirabies antibodies (proteins produced by the immune system to fight disease and infection). The test involves inserting fluorescently labeled antirabies antibody molecules into the brain tissue, which bind to the rabies virus antigens and give off a bright glow when viewed through a special fluorescent microscope. A dFA test can also detect the presence of rabies antigens in the skin.

From: http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/rabies/diagnosis.shtml

The
proper CDC approved protocol for the dFA test can be found here:

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/docs/RabiesDFASPv2.pdf

Please note that the protocol requires all the participants doing the testing to have undergone prophylactic treatment for rabies which is an indication of exactly how small an exposure can transmit the disease.

Quote:

I believe they only need a sample of brain tissue but haven't checked on the amount.

The dFA test is based on the principle that infected animals have rabies virus antigen (a protein) in brain tissue that reacts to antirabies antibodies (proteins produced by the immune system to fight disease and infection). The test involves inserting fluorescently labeled antirabies antibody molecules into the brain tissue, which bind to the rabies virus antigens and give off a bright glow when viewed through a special fluorescent microscope. A dFA test can also detect the presence of rabies antigens in the skin.

From: http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/rabies/diagnosis.shtml

The
proper CDC approved protocol for the dFA test can be found here:

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/docs/RabiesDFASPv2.pdf

Please note that the protocol requires all the participants doing the testing to have undergone prophylactic treatment for rabies which is an indication of exactly how small an exposure can transmit the disease.

All good points, i dont handle them after shooting them. But be careful I shoot them in the trap, then dump them out. I still would not shoot them in the head.

Back
Top Bottom