setting and hatching help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjls, Mar 11, 2013.

1. pbjls

pbjls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    I have a gqf 1502 that I am using for the first time. I put about 6 dozzen fresh fertile eggs on a shelf in the incubator laying on their side. it is a fairly tight fit and I put a soft clothe around the edges so the eggs won't hit the metal side when it turns automatically. they don't have much room to move really anyway. I have the temp between 100 and 99 degrees. I have a bowl with a sponge and water on the very top shelf. each morning i have added about a cup of water. the sponge is still wet, but the bowl empty by the next mornig so I add water.
    problem. after a week there is no sign of growth. I have candled about a third of the eggs and don't see anything that looks like viens. just one still dark spot in each egg that i asume is an undeveloped yoke. what did i do wrong.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    if you checked fertility by cracking them and seeing the "bulls eye" perhaps your thermometers are not calibrated? please refer to this article for help with temps, fertility collection etc.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

3. pbjls

pbjls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    at 10 to 12 days what should I see when candleing eggs. I have looked at about 40% of the eggs and do not see any movement in any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by