setting duck - 2.5 born

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smurfboe, Jul 7, 2010.

1. smurfboe

smurfboe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Phillipston, MA
    So yesterday the first two babies were hatched from under mom. One blackie (mostly Cayauga) and one funky looking buff/cayauga. I get home tonight and the duck family house just doesn't look right. No new duckies and looked like all hell broke lose in there. I take care of everything and mom is still looking a little freaky, so I have no clue. She finally settles down on the nest (still on 9 eggs) and the babies are snuggling so I batten down the hatches for the night.

I get in my house and my dear hubby presents me with a plastic tub with a very wet, peeping, very small looking baby. I look at him and say "what did you do?"

I guess I assumed he had more education that he did. He said the baby was squeaking under mom and wasn't all the way out of the egg, so he pushed mom of the nest (hense the freak out) and he helped the baby out of the shell. Meanwhile she had gone back on the nest and so he tried to put the baby with her. He said she went balistic and started flinging the new baby up in the air and seemed like she was trying to kill it so he brought it in the house. So I tell him not to help them out of the eggs, they will make it out when they are ready.

At this point the baby seems dry, (I think the wetness was from the egg more than anything) has sipped about 1 4th teaspoon of water and keeps falling asleep. I put a heat lamp over it, put a little water in a saucer, disolved a little chick cruble in it and we'll she what morning brings.

I do realize that this baby probably doesn't have a good chance of surviving, but I'll give it a shot.

Any other tips out there?[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You are pretty much doing all you can at this stage...If the little one is strong enough it will survive the night. You could try adding a bit of vitamins to the food for a few days to try to give it a bit of a boost if it has made it through the night.

Best of luck to you..I hope the little one pulls through.

3. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Any update on your baby?!?!

4. smurfboe

Jul 10, 2009
    Phillipston, MA
    Yes, he/she was alive and active this morning. Acts like a weeble alot, keeps tipping over like he/she didn't receive any equalibium. Funny to watch. I had to work today so we'll see tonight when I get home. Drank a bit of chick starter water this morning (mostly water with a little chick starter mashed up). I swear it's a female you can hear peeps with the door closed. I'm more hopeful at this point. I'll update later with a pic.

5. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Yay!!! Keep us updated

6. smurfboe

Jul 10, 2009
    Phillipston, MA
    Oh my what a comeback. This little miracle duckie won't sit still, ate about 3 teaspoons of crumble today and is peeping up a storm. I gave him/her a light bath and dry and now all he/she wants it so be held. It has to be a female.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    what a sweet little thing!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by