Setting eggs 1-18-12. I need some buddies to keep me company.

Do you mind if I join? We actually had a broody hen sitting on 1 egg and it hatched on Jan 13! It is just so cute. I had been collecting some of the eggs from our silkies and saving them just in case that egg didn't hatch. Now I've got the fever so we bought our first incubator on the 15th then set 16 silkie eggs on the 18th!! I candled them tonight (I'm very impatient) it looks like 3 of them are pretty clear, the rest have the spider look to them and decent air sacs!

Yay!!! Sounds like you Have some chicks on the way!
I set mine on the 18th as well. 30 cochin bantams and 11 mutts of my flock.
I've candled early myself, and I have bunches making veins. I did see at least one clear. I'm not discouraged though. I saw 8 or 9 with veins and only one with nothing, I'm overall very happy with that result.

The web cam is really great for sharing the hatch, but what happens if you're 40 miles away at work and see something wrong, but can't get home to fix it? Maybe you have someone who could help out, but if not that would make me crazier!

LMBO! I know I wouldn't be able to do anything about it... I'd just feel better seeing it. It holds the temp perfect when I'm here, so I guess there is no reason for me to doubt it, but I can't help but worry. I guess If I could just see it for a second while I was at work I would feel better about it throughout the day.
lol.png

My incubator is looking good as well as my hen who started sitting on the 18th... But problems with my other broody hens! I have 2 silkies sharing 15 faverolle eggs, which this morning 3 had been knocked out of the nest! 2 were cold and 1 still warm, I grabbed a pencil and wrote 'cold' on the cold ones and fingers crossed it wasn't that long, but who knows! I just checked on my bantam cross as well who is due next Saturday (I candled her eggs the other day and took 6 out of 12 away because they were blank) but one of her remaining eggs was smashed! Oh no, so she is down to 5! Lets hope something there hatches, I have had such bad luck with broodies which is why I bought the incubator!

I lost the other thread I was on so I'd like to join! In hatch order I have:
1 BR broody hen
Only 1 white silkie egg left to hatch end of this wk (started with 8 eggs)
(a silkie thot she wanted eggs so stoll from BR nest when she wasn't looking and then silkie left eggs the next day and I was gone all day, lost them all
barnie.gif

Set my first LG still air incubator hatch on 1/20
2 lav americana bantam
4 buff brahma bantam
3 OEG bantam
14 silkie (mix of white,splash and blue)

DD's Broody silkie hen
2 silkie eggs on 1/18
2 silkie eggs on 1/19
(unsure of fertility and if she will stay on them as this is her first broody and only 1 egg is hers, but she wanted them so I figured why not let her?)
Just don't tell DH
hide.gif

he won't notice a couple extra with all the babies around right? LOL I'l just slip them in with the rest of the babies and he will never be able to tell anyway. If he asks I don't know where they came from they just appeared!!!!.....
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom