Setting eggs 4-3-14

I am expecting baby chicks any time now. Lucy began setting on the 1st of April and Tomorrow will be day 21. I have seen several of you mention lock down. I only have the two Bantam hens and this is really my first experience. Both of the girls are setting in the same box. Tiger has 5 green eggs and Lucy has 11 white. Should I separate the eggs into different boxes. I tried to look at the eggs this afternoon and that little Tiger pecked me.

We had to take the rooster across the lake and back to my brother because since the neighbor put up a large street light in his back yard our little RooRoo began waking at 2 am and crowing until the sun came up. My brother was happy to have him come home because he is so beautiful.

My son in law worked all day on the parts of the new coop. It will be wonderful for the chickens. It will definitely be "The Hilton". My sweet son in law is a perfectionist. H is building the four sides at his house and will join them here. I am excited indeed.
EARTH DAY April 22, 2014 has been so busy. I checked early for little chicks but nothing in the box. At 10 looked again and noticed a little gray head peeking out. I waited until afternoon to tell the Grand Darlins until several more hatched because the men arrived to cut down the major part of the pecan tree. At 0130, The men took a lunch break so I had the Grand Darlins come out to admire he little chick and there were 5. This afternoon at 0600 there were 7. Three were yellow and four, grey. I expect more in the morning. Love it.

Last edited:
Got another text from my daughters teacher again this morning 3 out of 6 fully hatched so far!! I will post another update when I get to school this morning.

Day 20 here. My daughter and I heard one internal peep yesterday. It was so faint we weren't sure if we really heard it or if our minds were playing tricks on us. This morning everything looked the same... then I peeped at the eggies and the immediately got a reaction of an external pip! One little chick on it's way. Waiting for signs from the rest :) Exciting!

Got another text from my daughters teacher again this morning 3 out of 6 fully hatched so far!! I will post another update when I get to school this morning.
I bet the kids are all super excited!

It was so warm here yesterday I left a window open in the "chick" room and forgot to close it last night, I checked the temps this morning and they were under 100. I hope I didn't do any harm since they are so close to hatching. I was going to candle but figured I better make sure the temps get back up before I do anything. I'll check them tomorrow as that is the last turn day.

Back
Top Bottom