Setting eggs 6-18 anyone with me

Beckymca, your chicks are so cute. They look healthy too. Thanks for posting. I didn't realize that LB are so dark as chicks. Isn't it funny how they look after hatch and change so much in a few months? Wouldn't know they're the same. Happy belated birthday!

2 chicks hatched 7-8 (Australorps : brown eggs)
3 chicks hatched 7-9 (2 White rocks? : white eggs, 1 Australorp)
Would have been another Australorp, but I think I messed up when opening to put the other chicks in the brooder. Membrane hardened and it couldn't get out. =[ Didn't know I could help them out if needed...

I have 10 more eggs in the incubator still, when do you call it quits and assume they aren't going to hatch?

The due date was 7-10 (yesterday/tuesday) Do I wait three days from the due date or when the first chick hatched?

First timer! Any information is appreciated. =]

I have 1 chick that is rather small. He doesn't seem to be doing very well. He's always sitting away from the others with his head down. I give him a drink every time I visit the brooder but I'm not sure if I have ever seen him eat. The others may pick on him when I'm not watching but I don't see anything going on when I'm there. I have no way to separate him and keep him warm. I often mention how I follow the Ole Timer's thread and they say cull small weak chicks. But my group of bantams are all small, some are Serama which are the smallest breed and chicks are tiny to begin with. This is a picture of him. He loves to be held and falls asleep in my hand every time I pick him up. This hatch was such a stressor for me - so glad I've had you all to keep my spirits up. I just don't think I could kill him no matter what but at the same time, I don't want him to suffer, if he is suffering. Today is day 5 for him. He's made it this far! He has one foot where the toes seem to curl when he's just sitting there but when I hold him, he has strength in those toes and they curl around my fingers. I've scooted him around and he can run with that foot straightened out normal. I don't think he's deformed. He's not shivering and he will move all around the brooder but I often find him sitting in the same place as hours before There's just something about him that doesn't seem right. He's the runt and the smallest of all the chicks that hatched but he's not terribly small or weak. I'm a clean nut about hygiene so their food and water bowls get changed out several times a day. No sign of loose stools or blood in them. (The camera flash sends him darting). I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Do you keep runts? From what I've described, does his behavior seem normal for a 5-day old chick? I'm so scared of losing my whole flock to something like Marek's or psittacosis. I'm the only one that handles the chicks. I wash my hands before and after handling. Do you think he has something bad, perhaps some kind of disease? Thank you for any input.

Here he is on far left standing in the food tray with his back to the camera. Notice that he is not that much smaller than others!

Has anyone had their incubators smell......well, like fishy....closest I can describe it is like a woman's smell after a period (sorry to be so graphic but I don't know how else to describe it)........The eggs don't smell, its the incubator......since I upped the water for lockdown....I am on day 19 but opened it to make sure it wasn't the eggs smelling......I put fresh warm water in and the eggs back in, but an hour later and the smell is back.......any ideas?

*hugs* Heather x

I have one that is that way also. He also has curled toes. I'm trying to decide whether to try to straighten the toes or cull. I don't want to but the last hatch I had a silkie that also had these same symptoms. I tried taping toes and pampering (honey and apple cider vinegar water really helped) but overnight at about 6 days it expired. I checked on them the next morning before work and found it had died and been trampled by the healthier, more active chicks.

If you have enough time to devote you might be able to save it. The honey and apple cider vinegar water have perked up both my lethargic chicks over the two hatches.

Both of mine were the last ones to hatch. I'm not sure if that is an indication of problems or not. Was yours a late hatcher?

Has anyone had their incubators smell......well, like fishy....closest I can describe it is like a woman's smell after a period (sorry to be so graphic but I don't know how else to describe it)........The eggs don't smell, its the incubator......since I upped the water for lockdown....I am on day 19 but opened it to make sure it wasn't the eggs smelling......I put fresh warm water in and the eggs back in, but an hour later and the smell is back.......any ideas?

*hugs* Heather x
Heather,

I have had that exact smell with both my hatches from about the time of first pip until after I cleared the eggs out. I thought it was just me. I haven't had any issues with rotten eggs or anything else. It may just be the normal smell from the higher humidity combined with the internal liquid from the eggs. I hope that made sense. Since yours has that smell also, I wonder if it might be the normal smell of the internal egg.

Originally Posted by heatherscreations1969

*hugs* Heather x
Heather,

I have had that exact smell with both my hatches from about the time of first pip until after I cleared the eggs out. I thought it was just me. I haven't had any issues with rotten eggs or anything else. It may just be the normal smell from the higher humidity combined with the internal liquid from the eggs. I hope that made sense. Since yours has that smell also, I wonder if it might be the normal smell of the internal egg.

OMG, yes! It's awful, isn't it? I disinfect my bator at least 3 x's after a hatch. Phew big time!

Back
Top Bottom