setting eggs in january....

Yes, believe it or not, I am looking forward to getting more eggs, but this time I'll be prepared to sell the babies as they hatch. Was also think about honing my incubating skills by trying to hatch Muscovy eggs. Like pea eggs, Muscovy eggs are proving to be difficult for me.

-Kathy
lol --- finding the toughest eggs to hatch
barnie.gif
the torture we put ourselves thru
roll.png

I am kinda dreading the egg hunt,
i learned so much about where and how they set up their nest, one thing i learned is to wait to the last minute to pull eggs from a nest, a couple of my hens actually layed in a decoy nest where they layed 1 egg, they would go sit on that nest like they were going to lay an egg and later on go to the 2nd nest where they would add to the already layed eggs, then after they layed about 4 eggs in the 2nd nest they would sneak off and start to sit

I learned how to find their nest and that they will walk in the opposite direction of their nest if they see me watching them, i did enjoy learning.
I been cutting down trees so i am going to make some platforms and see if some of the hens will lay up high, i had 3 that took to high places last year and it was great.

the six remaining good eggs went under the silkies yesterday --- a little later than i wanted to... 'warm' front coming thru on wednesday (i think i've noticed better hatches on stormy days) when round one (4 or 5 eggs) is due, round two (1 or 2 eggs ) is due next sunday..... ( # ) because i can't make out my handwriting on the eggs...

major screw up on my part ... i had the broody silkie hens ...had silkie hens with chicks ... combined them and then set the pea eggs under them ...a little grabass ensued, but things seemed okay ... one of my dogs had sudden gran mal seizures and the birds were not a primary point of concern at that point ... the er vet's thought they could save her .. ended up just prolonging the suffering ... preliminary necropsy shows a massive brain tumor .. waiting for the final report....
hit.gif

back to the pea eggs... they all crapped out ... still have the eggs --i'll probably open them up today ... have more growing in the bators... not sure how i'll handle the final week at this point .. may give the silkies another shot, but do it right his time if i do it...

Back
Top Bottom