Setting eggs July 6th. Need some hatching buddies. Lets have some fun!

oh i wasnt talking about the thermometer/ humidity combo im talking about a thermostat that would normally be wired to the light so when the thermostat gets signal that its to hot or to cold it will turn or turn off the light.

Oops! Sorry about that. We didn't do that part. It's the water heater thermostat I believe. I actually don't think I really need it though. My temperature is pretty steady just the way I have it. Hopefully I'm right and my ducks will hatch!! Time will tell. ;)

My husband made mine. Of course he's a man and they like to over do things, but it turned out nice. You could use the cooler if you want to, but my husband made a box out of wood. We used dollar store picture frames and took out the glass for the windows. One sheet of styrofoam cut down for the insides, a computer fan, dimmer swich and a light kit. He drilled holes in the top for ventilation that I can close / open when needed. Our first hatch were mailed button quail eggs. I had 10 out of 15 hatch! Two were unfertilized, two died early, and the last poor baby just didnt make it out of the shell. So it was a good hatch for me! Good luck. You can do it.
wink.png

I like your incubator box. How much money did you put into it? 10 out of 15 (66%) seems like a good hatch rate, esp. for mailed eggs.

My DH is also a great handy-man but slow worker sometimes. He's still working on the coop (part of it is the extreme heat we've had, part of it is need $$$ (I only get paid once per month so once bills are paid, we buy what we can until the paycheck is gone and have to wait for the next paycheck) and part of it is trying to get hubby to see my vision and not make changes from what I want). We've got home improvement projects in various stages of completion. Coop is only 8ft by 8 ft and I'm close to max number (10 girls, 3 boys) already. Hubby caught me looking at a craig's listing that had chicks and he said "no more chickens" without even giving me a chance to explain.
tongue.png
He's right, of course. I should be getting 4 dozen eggs each week when they all get going. If my calculations are right, I really shouldn't have to replace my hens until 2014 and if I get started early in the year (like Jan or Feb or even back up some more to Dec or Nov) maybe the new girls will start laying by the time the "old" girls start retiring (they'll be 18 months during Oct. of 2013). Knowing me, I probably won't be able to pass up the chicks at the farm stores next spring anyway.
wink.png

I think I'll continue to follow your thread and learn all I can. I'll cheer when the hatching begins.

CG

I just set 12 Jap Quail eggs :) So can i join?? :)

I also set 3 button quail eggs prior, gee the difference in size still amazes me lol buttons are SO cute! :)

anyway its only my second time hatching so fingers crossed!

Oops! Sorry about that. We didn't do that part. It's the water heater thermostat I believe. I actually don't think I really need it though. My temperature is pretty steady just the way I have it. Hopefully I'm right and my ducks will hatch!! Time will tell.
wink.png

oh ok i thought you were using the light dimmer to control temp. good luck to you on them ducks.

I candled eggs last night, so far out of 20 I've got 14 positives. There are a couple that are questionable and a couple more that are completely clear, but I never abandon any until day 10 so they're all still in there. I've only been letting the roo in with the girls for a few hours a day so I'm not convinced he made it around to all the girls. :)

And speaking of incubators, I thought about building my own because it sounded like a fun project. But in the end I purchased one because I just didn't have the time for yet another project, haha! And I adore my 'bator, I got this one:

Back
Top Bottom