Setting Eggs On March 7, anyone else??

Hmm, are most of your eggs non-starters, or blood rings, or Day 14-18 quitters, or pippers-then-die-ers? I think this website has sort of a troubleshooting guide. http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs33.htm There are also differences of opinion on washing versus not-washing eggs before incubating. Here's another article from the same university that covers washing your hatching eggs. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8120.pdf There could be all kinds of reasons. *sigh* I hope you find a successful procedure soon!

I did eggtopsies on the 5 remaining eggs from my Mar 4 batch, and 3 were fully formed with unabsorbed yolks while the other two had probably quit a couple days before. (Thank goodness for sandwich size zipper seal bags!) So I'm thru with this hatch; it was one of the first for the year for me, which always seem to be less successful than the remainder of the year. Congratulations on all the beautiful fuzzy butts!

Well this is so discouraging, and I am wondering why I even invested in the darn incubator and eggs in the first place. All I have are the four eggs I want to hatch, and I can't even manage to do that. Broody, my hen hatched out just the three eggs I put under her last year. Unfortunately, they were all roosters but they did hatch on days 22 and 23, so maybe I still have a chance.

Well this is so discouraging, and I am wondering why I even invested in the darn incubator and eggs in the first place. All I have are the four eggs I want to hatch, and I can't even manage to do that. Broody, my hen hatched out just the three eggs I put under her last year. Unfortunately, they were all roosters but they did hatch on days 22 and 23, so maybe I still have a chance.

Hang in there. Is your one egg still rockin and rollin?

So why do you think you 3 fully formed didn't adsorb the yolk? I had this happen to 4 or 5 chicks at New Years and couldn't find a reason online.
Hmm, are most of your eggs non-starters, or blood rings, or Day 14-18 quitters, or pippers-then-die-ers? I think this website has sort of a troubleshooting guide. http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs33.htm There are also differences of opinion on washing versus not-washing eggs before incubating. Here's another article from the same university that covers washing your hatching eggs. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8120.pdf There could be all kinds of reasons. *sigh* I hope you find a successful procedure soon!

I did eggtopsies on the 5 remaining eggs from my Mar 4 batch, and 3 were fully formed with unabsorbed yolks while the other two had probably quit a couple days before. (Thank goodness for sandwich size zipper seal bags!) So I'm thru with this hatch; it was one of the first for the year for me, which always seem to be less successful than the remainder of the year. Congratulations on all the beautiful fuzzy butts!

I copied the URL that says embed in website and clicked box that said image only and it doesn't show pic on page.

900x900px-LL-24dfea93_011.jpeg

Finally figured it out.
he.gif

Last edited:
Well all finished. I have 5 Eng. Orps and 4 Isbars. I had 2 Orp eggs that didn't hatch one was a early about day 10 quitter and the other was fully formed day18 with yolk not completely adsorbed. My other Isbar egg was about a day seven quitter. I did the freezer bag autopsy too.

Here are the four Isbar chicks:

Five perfect English Orp. This was my 3 and final attempt at hatching a splash Orp.

Gratz on the new babies! They're beautiful and already so fluffy.
jumpy.gif
We just had our first one hatch and my sweet little 4 year old son got to watch the whole thing. Ya just can't put a price tag on that. This was his first time seeing a chick hatch other than what I've shown him on youtube. It's just such a miracle every time.
wee.gif
I have no idea what breed this one is because I can't open the bator to look at what I wrote on the shell. Looks like maybe a BR though. Several more pips in there.
Contrastphoto, you just finished and I'm just getting started! haha!

And, my son just announced that "his baby chicken" is going to be named James. (After one of his Thomas the Tank Engine trains). Lets hope that James is a roo. haha!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom