Setting eggs on Wednesday June 29

Quote:
Usually it means that your temp got a bit high at some point in incubating. I have no doubt that mine did because we had 100 degree weather and I have no air conditioning.

Update again I have three out and the third is hollering to the one that started yesterday so hopefully it can convince him it's time to come out of his shell lol. On top of that I have 7 more pips waiting to go still that are slowly zipping. So it looks like it will be a good hatch. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

Don't feel bad MommaB. I am on day 20 and I have nothing going on either. 24 made it to lockdown and tomorrow is the day. These are shipped eggs so I don't expect that all will hatch. I would be happy if I get 12.

Quote:
This is my third time using the incubator and both times before I had some on day 20 and today is day 20 and just in the last 5 minutes the second one jumped out of the egg.
Wanted to tell you also that you said about your temp going down on day of lock down. When I put this bunch in lock down which was Sunday morning, I never came back up to 99.5 until yesterday evening. It only came up to 96.6 and stopped. I moved the bator over a little closer to the heat light that I have set up for brooder and watched it when and it has stayed at a perfect 99.1 to 99.6 I think it is because I have the air conditioner on in my home.

Quote:
Usually it means that your temp got a bit high at some point in incubating. I have no doubt that mine did because we had 100 degree weather and I have no air conditioning.

Update again I have three out and the third is hollering to the one that started yesterday so hopefully it can convince him it's time to come out of his shell lol. On top of that I have 7 more pips waiting to go still that are slowly zipping. So it looks like it will be a good hatch. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

Lily, Please don't think I'm saying this in a smart way but I can guarantee you my bator never reached 100. 99.8 is the highest that it had gone so I don't think that is the reason. I think what it is with mine (can't say for anyone else) is that these were shipped eggs and I sort of think that as hot as it has been they may have started to develop before putting them in the bator. I'm sure not claiming that I know this for sure but just my thought. lol Anyway, fantastic on your hatch. Hope they all make it.

Quote:

Lily, Please don't think I'm saying this in a smart way but I can guarantee you my bator never reached 100. 99.8 is the highest that it had gone so I don't think that is the reason. I think what it is with mine (can't say for anyone else) is that these were shipped eggs and I sort of think that as hot as it has been they may have started to develop before putting them in the bator. I'm sure not claiming that I know this for sure but just my thought. lol Anyway, fantastic on your hatch. Hope they all make it.

That is always a possibility as well. My shipped eggs are hatching as well as the ones from the farm but I know I had a few temp spikes due to no AC for 2 of the batches today is day 20 for the other it is day 19.

Batch 1 3 in lock down none pipped yet. Shipped eggs Day 20

Batch 2 10 in lock down 4 hatched completely 3 externally pipped non shipped eggs day 20

Batch 3 13 in lock down 5 pipped externally none hatched yet shipped eggs day 19.

My last hatch I got none hatching until day 21 these are hatching way early so I am thinking it's the temp. Not sure what else it could be. I want to leave the chicks in the incubator for 24 hours but gosh I am having such a hard time keeping them from destroying the incubator in the process. They are bouncing around knocking over eggs and they are not even dry yet. My special needs chick that wasn't hatched is now almost completely out of the shell but it is still stuck on his butt. Hopefully he can get it the rest of the way off.

Third to hatch

PIC_0815.jpg

Terrible picture but this is the second born and the special needs chick in his shell. He finally got out of it tonight now we'll see if he can learn to walk.

PIC_0816.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
It's my first hatch and after reading about everyone's dreadful hatches with shipped eggs, I'm just glad to have some hatch! I suppose it's worrying hearing about everyone else's popping out so quick; hell, my last egg already has me paranoid lol. These last two are my OH's, so he keeps quizzing me on why they're not out yet, have I seen any movement, are they both still alive... And I thought he wasn't that bothered lol!

Quote:
It's my first hatch and after reading about everyone's dreadful hatches with shipped eggs, I'm just glad to have some hatch! I suppose it's worrying hearing about everyone else's popping out so quick; hell, my last egg already has me paranoid lol. These last two are my OH's, so he keeps quizzing me on why they're not out yet, have I seen any movement, are they both still alive... And I thought he wasn't that bothered lol!

It seems to be not only shipped eggs but regular eggs that are not doing so well this year. There is a post about hatching percentages this year and it seems that even without shipping the eggs a lot of people are running only about a 50% or lower hatch rate so if we get 50% we're doing good.

Quote:
If I count all the eggs that I started with it will be about that too. I am still holding out hopes for the ones that haven't pipped yet because day 21 isn't until tomorrow.

but if I only count those that made it to lock down or died early on that would be 48% which isn't that bad considering that 2/3 of my eggs are shipped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom