setting eggs question???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, Apr 15, 2011.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I can never remember which day is lock down day....I set my eggs on March 30th, pulled 5 eggs out that were not growing or duds at 7 days, and pulled 4 more that seemed to have died off....my major problem is that over the weekend the electric pole started on fire and we were without power for about 2 1/2 hours, but things seem to be going fine yet, thankfully [​IMG] but the next big problem will be that they will come to replace the pole when I go into lockdown...anyone have any suggestions of possible solutions that aren't as drastic as running my generator just for the bator???

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Lock down should be sometime Sunday unless the pip or start chirping before that.

Go to walmart or the part store an get one of these strong enough for your incubator.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-PV150-Portable-Inverter/dp/tags-on-product/B0000AI0OE

The smaller ones are usually 150 watts an I think all the small incubators are under 50 watts. Not shure the How much the big incubators draw.

Just start your car every now an then.

3. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I did think about doing that with the bator while they are changing out the poles....my main problem is that it may be really cold outside so adjusting the temps may be an issue???

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Run a drop cord from the car in to the house.

5. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Hahaha take them for a drive [​IMG] ...no just joking. But seriously run an extention cord from the car.

6. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Quote:That is so cool! Thanks for posting... I made hubby get the generator out when our power went out last month. Boy, that little gizmo would be soo much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by