Setting Eggs Sept. 24th-Oct. 4th-Last Hatch of the Year. Anyone care to join me?

Oh sh** don't say that..it has always been my nightmare...I feed my chickens organic but have struggled with having to feed my chicks medicated to give them some defense against???? I don't really know what but people all say...medicated or they will get Mereks ect...
BUT...I have feed my chicks under the broody with organic grower and they were fine...and my chicks in the brooder with medicated and they had some problems with poopy butt and i had to check them daily and cut their fluff off ect....
but then I also gave the chicks with the momma the option of some medicated feed and now they have poopy butt and I have had to check them and cut the dried poop off their butts as well.
Drives me nuts...
I don't like it! So I have taken it all away...

I wish I could find organic feed where I am. I have asked at all the local feed stores and noone has any.

I have had a terrible week. I was babysitting Picanin's (Nikki)eggs while she was out of town and hers started hatching on day 19. Then a second set went into lockdown on Monday. Well her first 4 started dieing 1 by 1 then it went through my 4 Catdance silkies (only have 1 left now) and I lost all 3 of my Heritage RIR chicks. They were all perfectly fine and then they started dropping like flies. They were not in the same brooder. I have 2 sets of older chicks (4 weeks and 8 weeks) in the room also and all of them are fine. What ever it was just went through all the week old or less chicks. Nikki's second batch of chicks started hatching and my serama's started hatching on Tuesday and I wouldn't take them out of the hatchers because I was so afraid they would die too. Nikki picked up her bators last night and I went through that room and scrubbed and disinfected everything. Put my serama's and lone Silkie chick in my brooder and am keeping my fingers crossed. Today I just spent the day recovering from it all and hopefully tomorrow I will post some pics of my new babies.
Ive had that too. no clue what it was. wiped out alot of chicks tho. fine one day stone dead the next.

Well I just went to take my other little paint broody out for a stretch and a poop and she has freshly hatched chicks under her...I didn't get a good look as I quickly put her back down...she has 4 eggs under her...yay! More chicks...

How many chicks will Darrin end up with??? hahaha, how wonderful!!!

I have had a terrible week. I was babysitting Picanin's (Nikki)eggs while she was out of town and hers started hatching on day 19. Then a second set went into lockdown on Monday. Well her first 4 started dieing 1 by 1 then it went through my 4 Catdance silkies (only have 1 left now) and I lost all 3 of my Heritage RIR chicks. They were all perfectly fine and then they started dropping like flies. They were not in the same brooder. I have 2 sets of older chicks (4 weeks and 8 weeks) in the room also and all of them are fine. What ever it was just went through all the week old or less chicks. Nikki's second batch of chicks started hatching and my serama's started hatching on Tuesday and I wouldn't take them out of the hatchers because I was so afraid they would die too. Nikki picked up her bators last night and I went through that room and scrubbed and disinfected everything. Put my serama's and lone Silkie chick in my brooder and am keeping my fingers crossed. Today I just spent the day recovering from it all and hopefully tomorrow I will post some pics of my new babies.
Oh this breaks my heart for you. How sad I gave the chicks medicated also because I was afraid not to. The buff was the only one that had problems with the pasty butt. I would bring it in and wash it's butt off with warm water and then dry it really well. I only had to do it a couple of times and then it stopped. I too use organics for the older chickens and the chicks eat it also when they get the chance, lol, opportunists they are. Chin up girl

I wish I could find organic feed where I am. I have asked at all the local feed stores and noone has any.
Could you order some online and have it shipped? Maybe you could go in with others in your area and get a better deal. Just an idea.

59600_4835897738130_476738213_a.jpg
155324_4835896898109_403385238_a.jpg

Hi all, With all the diseases & illnesses that are floating about these days in poultry, we see time and time again people asking whats wrong with my hen or duck etc and advising of the symptoms. Well here you can now look for the symptoms for your poultry and check what disease or illness to associated with it. We hope this file helps you!

Symptom Checker .............

Bald Patches: Feather Pecking, Moulting, Lice

Blood in droppings: Coccidiosis, Worms

Chicks:Blood in Stools - Coccidiosis

Lame - Splayed leg or injury

Noisy - hungry/thirsty (have feed/water available at all times) or cold/hot
(huddled together = cold, spaced out at edges of brooder = hot)

Comb:
Small - normal for young pullet and some types of hen
Pink - normal for young pullet, Anaemia
Pale - sign of illness, look for other symptoms like Anaemia
Black - normal skin colour for some breeds or Frostbite
Scabby - Bullying, Northern Mite
Coughing: Respiratory Problems

Crop:
Crop feels like water balloon - Sour Crop
Hard lump in crop - Impacted Crop

Diarrhoea - Diet, Worms, Coccidiosis

Droppings - There are a huge range of chicken droppings to view (please see our other files)

Eggs:
Drop in production - Diet, Worms, Fleas, Red Mite, Egg Peritonitis, common in older hens
Stopped laying - Diet, Moulting, Egg Bound, Worms, Egg Peritonitis, common in older hens
Thin shells - Diet, Egg Peritonitis, also give Mixed Grit, add Apple Cider Vinegar or Tonic to water, common in older hens
Powdery shells - Extra calcium on shell, can be caused by stress
Blood spots - Less common in free-range hens and those on grass, eggs OK to eat
Watery eggs - Common in older hens

Eyes:
Swollen - Injured Eye, Sinus Infection
Closed most of the time - this is general sign of illness so look for other symptoms, they also do this when it's windy and they nap during the day
Bleeding - Injury, Bullying
Face & Eye Swollen - Sinus Infection

Feathers:
Fluffed up - general sign of illness if hen is hunched up, if reluctant to leave nest box see Broody
Loosing Feathers - Feather Pecking, Moulting, Lice

Gasping for air - Respiratory Diseases, Gapeworm

Head shaking - Sinus Infection, Respiratory Disease, Fleas

Legs:
Lame - Injury, Mareks Disease
Scaly - Scaly Leg Mite, can be a sign old age

Scratching - Fleas, Lice, Red Mites

Sneezing - Sinus Infection, Respiratory Diseases

Staying out at night - Red Mites

Straining - Egg Bound, Egg Peritonitis

Sudden Death - Heart Attack

Wheezy Chest - Respiratory Diseases

Wing Hanging Down - Injury, Mareks disease

Chicken Problems, The symptoms and Treatments

Anaemia
Symptoms: Pale comb and wattles, often caused by parasites
Treatment: Tonic in water, apply Diatom powder to the hen, clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Broody
Symptoms: Hen sat on nest box, feather fluffed out, aggressive behaviour
Treatment: All hens can go broody although some breeds are more likely to. If you want her to produce chicks, let her sit on fertilised eggs. If you don't, remove her from the nest as often as possible until she gives up. It may be advisable to wear gloves!

Bullying
Symptoms: Feathers missing, wounds, weight loss, reluctance to leave coop, usually soon after getting hens home or adding new hens to a flock
Treatment: Anti-bacterial wound powder for wounds, anti-pecking spray, ensure they get food -some bullied hens will give up trying to eat and simply waste away!

Coccidiosis
Symptoms: diarrhoea, blood or mucus in droppings, most commonly found in chicks but not exclusively, can result in death or leave permanent damage to the gut
Treatment: Coxoid in drinking water as soon as possible, followed by a multi-vitamin tonic. Use Bi-oo-cyst to kill oocysts in coop/brooder and on drinkers, feeders etc.
Prevention: Vaccination, chick crumb containing a coccidiostat, good hygiene

Dehydration
Symptoms: Hen looks unsteady on her feet
Treatment: Provide fresh clean water, if not drinking use dropper to drip water into her mouth. Can be a symptom of another condition - look for other symptoms.

Diarrhoea
Symptoms: Runny droppings, dirty feathers around bottom
Treatment: Ensure plenty of clean drinking water is available. Feed only layers pellets or mash, with a little corn if it's winter, until the problem improves. Do not give greens or kitchen scraps. A Tonic may help if the problem has been long lasting. If you haven't wormed the flock recently, treat with Wormer.
Egg Bound
Symptoms: Hen looks like she is straining with her bottom close to the ground
Treatment: Difficult to treat, oil (vegetable/baby) around the vent may help, if the egg is broken there is severe risk of infection so please see a vet. Can lead to Prolapse.

Egg Peritonitis
Symptoms: Swollen abdomen, loss of weight, laying soft shelled or no eggs, generally looks unwell, if severe can cause respiratory distress
Treatment: Antibiotics if diagnosed early

Feather Pecking
Symptoms: Feathers missing, bloody wound if severe, can occur when new hens are introduced to a flock or if hens are over-crowded, bored hens can even peck their own feathers out!Treatment: Anti-bacterial wound powder or Gentian Violet Spray for open wounds
Prevention: Anti-pecking spray on new hens, prevent hens becoming bored (more space to forage, perches in run etc).

Fleas
Symptoms: Small insects that jump, reduction in egg production, anaemia, scratching.
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield. Also Tonic in water.
Prevention: Use Diatom regularly inside the coop and on your hens.

Frostbite
Symptoms: Cockerel's comb turns black, the tips may fall off if severe. Hens are less likely to be affected.
Prevention: Rub Vaseline on comb during cold spells

Gapeworms
Symptoms: Gasping, head shaking, neck stretching, gurgling sound (easily confused with respiratory diseases)
Treatment: Worm with Flubenvet

Heart Attacks
Symptoms: Sudden death, usually in older chickens, often as a result of stress.

Impacted Crop
Symptoms: Hard lump in the crop, watery droppings, fluid from mouth
Treatment: Get oil (olive, vegetable) into crop and try to massage the lump so it breaks up and can be passed through the digestive system. If this does not work, see your vet.
Prevention: Use wood shavings instead of straw/hay for bedding and do not feed long grass.

Injury / Open wound
Symptoms: Bleeding, Wound, Sore, Redness
Treatment: If severe apply pressure to stop the blood flow, if just a graze clean the wound, dust with anti-bacterial wound powder or Gentian Violet Spray

Muscle / Soft Tissue
Symptoms: Limping
Treatment: Limit hen's movement to rest the damaged area, make sure she can reach food and water, this takes time but it should heal itself

Eyes
Symptoms: Bleeding, swelling. Can be caused by pecking, accident, foreign object in the eye, sometimes the eye can be missing altogether.
Treatment: Bathe the eye area carefully to see the damage, remove foreign object if present, she may need anti-bacterial eye drops from your vet, if the eye is absent see your vet.

Lice Symptoms: small insects (1-4mm) crawling on the hen at the base of the feather, white spots at the base of the feather are eggs, reduction in egg production, anaemia, scratching.
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Marek's Disease
Symptoms: Paralysis of one leg and/or one wing, loss of mobility, death. Usually occurs in birds between 12 and 28 weeks old.
Treatment: None Prevention: Vaccination as a very young chick, buy vaccinated stock - all the hens and chicks sold by Durham Hens are vaccinated against Mareks.

Moulting
Symptoms: Loosing feathers, not laying
Treatment: Natural process occurring once a year, Poultry Spice can help hens recover quickly

Northern Mite
Symptoms: small insects (less than 1mm) crawling on the hens, anaemia, scratching, reduction in egg production
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield. Also Tonic in water.

Prolapse
Symptoms: Internal tissues sticking out of the vent, hen distressed.
Treatment: See your vet

Red Mite
Symptoms: Anaemia, scratching, reluctance to go into the coop and/or lay in nest boxes
Detection: Use Red Mite Alert to detect the presence of red mite in your coop.
Treatment: Tonic in water, thoroughly clean the coop with Poultry Shield, apply Diatom regularly to the hens.
Prevention: Dust Diatom regularly inside the coop and on your hens. Clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Respiratory Diseases (many with similar symptoms/treatments)
Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing, wheezy chest, head shaking, discharge from nostrils
Treatment: Separate hen from flock, give Herban, Respite or antibiotics (Tylan or Baytril) from your vet

Scaly Leg Mite
Symptoms: Scales lifted on legs
Treatment: Apply Scaly Leg Spray

Sinus Infection Symptoms: Swollen patch below the eye on one or both sides, if severe the eye area may be swollen too, also water/pus from eye/nostril.
Treatment: Separate hen from flock, Herban or antibiotic from your vet

Sour Crop
Symptoms: The crop will feel like a water balloon, soft and squishy.
Treatment: Caused by a fungal infection. Tip the hen forward to let the fluid pour out of the crop through her mouth (CAUTION: do not hold her like this for long as she needs to breathe!) Feed natural yoghurt. If it doesn't improve quickly see your vet.

Splayed leg
Symptoms: In newly hatched chicks, one leg sticks out awkwardly, unable to walk/stand.
Treatment: Tie a piece of wool around one leg at about knee height, leave about 2cm loose between the legs and then tie to the other leg at the same height. This will act like a splint and keep the legs in the correct position. Remove after 2 days or when the chick can walk unaided.

Worms
Symptoms: diarrhoea, blood in droppings
Treatment: worm regularly with Wormer
Although this is a very good list it is not an exhaustive list and there are many more ailments and conditions poultry suffer with and from just like us humans, so please take that into account when reading or using this information, Thanks

59600_4835897738130_476738213_a.jpg
155324_4835896898109_403385238_a.jpg

Hi all, With all the diseases & illnesses that are floating about these days in poultry, we see time and time again people asking whats wrong with my hen or duck etc and advising of the symptoms. Well here you can now look for the symptoms for your poultry and check what disease or illness to associated with it. We hope this file helps you!

Symptom Checker .............

Bald Patches: Feather Pecking, Moulting, Lice

Blood in droppings: Coccidiosis, Worms

Chicks:Blood in Stools - Coccidiosis

Lame - Splayed leg or injury

Noisy - hungry/thirsty (have feed/water available at all times) or cold/hot
(huddled together = cold, spaced out at edges of brooder = hot)

Comb:
Small - normal for young pullet and some types of hen
Pink - normal for young pullet, Anaemia
Pale - sign of illness, look for other symptoms like Anaemia
Black - normal skin colour for some breeds or Frostbite
Scabby - Bullying, Northern Mite
Coughing: Respiratory Problems

Crop:
Crop feels like water balloon - Sour Crop
Hard lump in crop - Impacted Crop

Diarrhoea - Diet, Worms, Coccidiosis

Droppings - There are a huge range of chicken droppings to view (please see our other files)

Eggs:
Drop in production - Diet, Worms, Fleas, Red Mite, Egg Peritonitis, common in older hens
Stopped laying - Diet, Moulting, Egg Bound, Worms, Egg Peritonitis, common in older hens
Thin shells - Diet, Egg Peritonitis, also give Mixed Grit, add Apple Cider Vinegar or Tonic to water, common in older hens
Powdery shells - Extra calcium on shell, can be caused by stress
Blood spots - Less common in free-range hens and those on grass, eggs OK to eat
Watery eggs - Common in older hens

Eyes:
Swollen - Injured Eye, Sinus Infection
Closed most of the time - this is general sign of illness so look for other symptoms, they also do this when it's windy and they nap during the day
Bleeding - Injury, Bullying
Face & Eye Swollen - Sinus Infection

Feathers:
Fluffed up - general sign of illness if hen is hunched up, if reluctant to leave nest box see Broody
Loosing Feathers - Feather Pecking, Moulting, Lice

Gasping for air - Respiratory Diseases, Gapeworm

Head shaking - Sinus Infection, Respiratory Disease, Fleas

Legs:
Lame - Injury, Mareks Disease
Scaly - Scaly Leg Mite, can be a sign old age

Scratching - Fleas, Lice, Red Mites

Sneezing - Sinus Infection, Respiratory Diseases

Staying out at night - Red Mites

Straining - Egg Bound, Egg Peritonitis

Sudden Death - Heart Attack

Wheezy Chest - Respiratory Diseases

Wing Hanging Down - Injury, Mareks disease

Chicken Problems, The symptoms and Treatments

Anaemia
Symptoms: Pale comb and wattles, often caused by parasites
Treatment: Tonic in water, apply Diatom powder to the hen, clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Broody
Symptoms: Hen sat on nest box, feather fluffed out, aggressive behaviour
Treatment: All hens can go broody although some breeds are more likely to. If you want her to produce chicks, let her sit on fertilised eggs. If you don't, remove her from the nest as often as possible until she gives up. It may be advisable to wear gloves!

Bullying
Symptoms: Feathers missing, wounds, weight loss, reluctance to leave coop, usually soon after getting hens home or adding new hens to a flock
Treatment: Anti-bacterial wound powder for wounds, anti-pecking spray, ensure they get food -some bullied hens will give up trying to eat and simply waste away!

Coccidiosis
Symptoms: diarrhoea, blood or mucus in droppings, most commonly found in chicks but not exclusively, can result in death or leave permanent damage to the gut
Treatment: Coxoid in drinking water as soon as possible, followed by a multi-vitamin tonic. Use Bi-oo-cyst to kill oocysts in coop/brooder and on drinkers, feeders etc.
Prevention: Vaccination, chick crumb containing a coccidiostat, good hygiene

Dehydration
Symptoms: Hen looks unsteady on her feet
Treatment: Provide fresh clean water, if not drinking use dropper to drip water into her mouth. Can be a symptom of another condition - look for other symptoms.

Diarrhoea
Symptoms: Runny droppings, dirty feathers around bottom
Treatment: Ensure plenty of clean drinking water is available. Feed only layers pellets or mash, with a little corn if it's winter, until the problem improves. Do not give greens or kitchen scraps. A Tonic may help if the problem has been long lasting. If you haven't wormed the flock recently, treat with Wormer.
Egg Bound
Symptoms: Hen looks like she is straining with her bottom close to the ground
Treatment: Difficult to treat, oil (vegetable/baby) around the vent may help, if the egg is broken there is severe risk of infection so please see a vet. Can lead to Prolapse.

Egg Peritonitis
Symptoms: Swollen abdomen, loss of weight, laying soft shelled or no eggs, generally looks unwell, if severe can cause respiratory distress
Treatment: Antibiotics if diagnosed early

Feather Pecking
Symptoms: Feathers missing, bloody wound if severe, can occur when new hens are introduced to a flock or if hens are over-crowded, bored hens can even peck their own feathers out!Treatment: Anti-bacterial wound powder or Gentian Violet Spray for open wounds
Prevention: Anti-pecking spray on new hens, prevent hens becoming bored (more space to forage, perches in run etc).

Fleas
Symptoms: Small insects that jump, reduction in egg production, anaemia, scratching.

Frostbite
Symptoms: Cockerel's comb turns black, the tips may fall off if severe. Hens are less likely to be affected.
Prevention: Rub Vaseline on comb during cold spells

Gapeworms
Symptoms: Gasping, head shaking, neck stretching, gurgling sound (easily confused with respiratory diseases)
Treatment: Worm with Flubenvet

Heart Attacks
Symptoms: Sudden death, usually in older chickens, often as a result of stress.

Impacted Crop
Symptoms: Hard lump in the crop, watery droppings, fluid from mouth
Treatment: Get oil (olive, vegetable) into crop and try to massage the lump so it breaks up and can be passed through the digestive system. If this does not work, see your vet.
Prevention: Use wood shavings instead of straw/hay for bedding and do not feed long grass.

Injury / Open wound
Symptoms: Bleeding, Wound, Sore, Redness
Treatment: If severe apply pressure to stop the blood flow, if just a graze clean the wound, dust with anti-bacterial wound powder or Gentian Violet Spray

Muscle / Soft Tissue
Symptoms: Limping
Treatment: Limit hen's movement to rest the damaged area, make sure she can reach food and water, this takes time but it should heal itself

Eyes
Symptoms: Bleeding, swelling. Can be caused by pecking, accident, foreign object in the eye, sometimes the eye can be missing altogether.
Treatment: Bathe the eye area carefully to see the damage, remove foreign object if present, she may need anti-bacterial eye drops from your vet, if the eye is absent see your vet.

Lice Symptoms: small insects (1-4mm) crawling on the hen at the base of the feather, white spots at the base of the feather are eggs, reduction in egg production, anaemia, scratching.
Treatment: Apply Diatom directly onto the hen, especially under the wings and around the bottom, clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Marek's Disease
Symptoms: Paralysis of one leg and/or one wing, loss of mobility, death. Usually occurs in birds between 12 and 28 weeks old.
Treatment: None Prevention: Vaccination as a very young chick, buy vaccinated stock - all the hens and chicks sold by Durham Hens are vaccinated against Mareks.

Moulting
Symptoms: Loosing feathers, not laying
Treatment: Natural process occurring once a year, Poultry Spice can help hens recover quickly

Northern Mite
Symptoms: small insects (less than 1mm) crawling on the hens, anaemia, scratching, reduction in egg production

Prolapse
Symptoms: Internal tissues sticking out of the vent, hen distressed.
Treatment: See your vet

Red Mite
Symptoms: Anaemia, scratching, reluctance to go into the coop and/or lay in nest boxes
Detection: Use Red Mite Alert to detect the presence of red mite in your coop.
Treatment: Tonic in water, thoroughly clean the coop with Poultry Shield, apply Diatom regularly to the hens.
Prevention: Dust Diatom regularly inside the coop and on your hens. Clean the coop with Poultry Shield.

Respiratory Diseases (many with similar symptoms/treatments)
Symptoms: Coughing, sneezing, wheezy chest, head shaking, discharge from nostrils
Treatment: Separate hen from flock, give Herban, Respite or antibiotics (Tylan or Baytril) from your vet

Scaly Leg Mite
Symptoms: Scales lifted on legs
Treatment: Apply Scaly Leg Spray

Sinus Infection Symptoms: Swollen patch below the eye on one or both sides, if severe the eye area may be swollen too, also water/pus from eye/nostril.
Treatment: Separate hen from flock, Herban or antibiotic from your vet

Sour Crop
Symptoms: The crop will feel like a water balloon, soft and squishy.
Treatment: Caused by a fungal infection. Tip the hen forward to let the fluid pour out of the crop through her mouth (CAUTION: do not hold her like this for long as she needs to breathe!) Feed natural yoghurt. If it doesn't improve quickly see your vet.

Splayed leg
Symptoms: In newly hatched chicks, one leg sticks out awkwardly, unable to walk/stand.
Treatment: Tie a piece of wool around one leg at about knee height, leave about 2cm loose between the legs and then tie to the other leg at the same height. This will act like a splint and keep the legs in the correct position. Remove after 2 days or when the chick can walk unaided.

Worms
Symptoms: diarrhoea, blood in droppings
Treatment: worm regularly with Wormer
Although this is a very good list it is not an exhaustive list and there are many more ailments and conditions poultry suffer with and from just like us humans, so please take that into account when reading or using this information, Thanks
Where did you find this? I would love to book mark it.

It was horrible. They were all eating, drinking and pooping fine. They they would just become very lethargic and towards the end there was labored breathing. One even developed wryneck so I wonder if it was something neurological. Nikki and I think it may have had something to do with the medication in the feed. Maybe my bag had too much for their small bodies.
Wonder was the feed the kind that had antibiotics in it too or just the stuff for cocci? i have used medicated just cocci on all my new babies knock on wood and never have pasty butt yet.. Might be the brand too.Maybe they DId put too much of something in or it was fermented or had a bad mold something babies cant take.
Did you guy ask each other what you all use?Might look online see ifthere is any call backs on any starter feed.
Sure sounds like some sort of poisoning to work that quickly and only on the tiny ones

Back
Top Bottom